Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visonic sounder mcs 730 or mcs 730 ac?

Options
  • 26-01-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering to get the visonic powermax complete. There are 2 kind of sounders: one with battery (mcs 730) and one with connection to the main (mcs 730 ac).

MCS 730:
    How long will the battery sounder one last when 2 sets of batteries are added? I was wondering the duration before replacing the batteries will be shortened a good bit if you switch the strobe on to flash every couple of seconds.

MCS 730 ac:
    for feeding the wire of the adapter through the wall, I think I will need to cut the wire: does anybody know many internal wires there are to be reconnected? And should I use some kind of in between part to reconnect? What would be out there on the market for this? As you can see I am not an electrician!!

I am inclined to get the mcs 730 ac but I can see that I will have problems with the rewiring.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should get 3-4 years out of the 2 batteries.
    I would go for the expander card & wire in a global bell. This connects to the panel via 6 core alarm cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wannabe7a

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would go for the expander card & wire in a global bell. This connects to the panel via 6 core alarm cable.

Looks like I have to open my eyes for other options. Could you expand a bit on that. I mean:

- what do you mean by global bell? What advantages does this kind of bell have over the visonic sounder?

- Is the wire all the way then from outdoors to the control panel?

Is the expander card going into the control panel?

Thanks KoolKid.

Hi KoolKid,

What do you mean by global bell? Is this any kind of generic bell. What would the advantage be above the visonic bell (mcs 730 ac)? I assume that the global bell needs to be wired to the control panel.

Also: would the battery life be reduced by much if you put the jumper inside the bell on "on"?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

wannabe7a wrote: »
    Hi KoolKid,

What do you mean by global bell? Is this any kind of generic bell.
    A global bell is a standard wired bell that works with most wired systems.
    What would the advantage be above the visonic bell (mcs 730 ac)?
    The advantage of the Visonic bell is its wireless. The disadvantage is batteries will need replacing & there would be none or less visual indication.
    I assume that the global bell needs to be wired to the control panel.
    Correct, but you have the advantage of being able to leave lighting indicators on without worrying about battery life.
    Also: would the battery life be reduced by much if you put the jumper inside the bell on "on"?
    Yes by at least 50%

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

A global bell is a standard wired bell that works with most wired systems.

The advantage of the Visonic bell is its wireless. The disadvantage is batteries will need replacing & there would be none or less visual indication.

Correct, but you have the advantage of being able to leave lighting indicators on without worrying about battery life.

Yes by at least 50%

Thanks.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. The MCS 730 AC is also a wired alarm bell. But I think this bell does not necessarily need to be directly connected by wires to the control panel. Would it be okay to cut the wire of the plug that comes along with that so it can be fed easily through the wall and reconnect the 6 core wires (I assume it will be 6 cores as well)? Unless I use the expander as you mentioned earlier.
    ps. which colour of the 6 cores would be for the flashing unit?

• Advertisement

The MCS 730 AC Can be poweerd locally by 9 volt power supply and communicate via wireless with the control panel. This enables you to have the bell powered without the need to get a cable to the panel. Its not the same as using a global bell & wiring the triggers etc back to the panel into the expander card.

Advertisement