Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self service dogwash

• 26-01-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I remember seeing these at a few petrol stations before, but the few I remember seeing them at no longer have them.

Think it was this kind: http://www.speedwash.ie/dog_wash.html

Anyone know if they're still about anywhere? I live in D5, but I'm willing to travel (a bit) for one. Normally I'd bath the dog (basset) at home, but the bathroom renovations are taking way longer then I though and there's no tiles around the bath, and only unfinished wooden floors down, so doing it here isn't an option ATM!

Cheers.

Jagerboy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure they proved that popular although I could do with one for my bigger dog. If all else fails maybe a friendly dog groomer will allow you to use their facilities for a fee or I guess a basset doesn't need much brushing so a quick wash and dry from a groomer shouldn't be too expensive.

Am half sorry I didn't put in a dog bath when renovating our bathroom would of saved me a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would a baby's bath or even a cheap paddling pool do the job OP?

Eg - €5
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3650512/Trail/searchtext%3EPADDLING+POOL.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Assassins Creed

There's a dog wash in the petrol station on Ballygall rd west, finglas. Its been there some time so i'm not sure if it still works.

Here's a thread that has some ideas on washing your dog outside.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056860427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

There's one at Texaco in Swords, across from Airside Retail Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

There's one in gaywood industrial yard next to mulhuddart graveyard in d15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

does anyone know if those facilities come with a dryer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

Thank you so much for your replies.
    @Sigma - I've gone off groomers tbh. I've had him done a few times by different ones (at great cost) and am never as happy with the results as I am after doing it myself!
    @TK123 - Bit cold for that (for him AND me!). Also, a bit awkward getting the hot running water out to him with my current setup. Not a bad idea for the summer washes though.
    @Assasins Creed - As above, maybe outdoors would be better when the weather gets warmer. I'll check out the Texaco in Finglas.
    @peteb2 & @genericguy - I'll check them out if Finglas doesn't work out.
    @falabo - AFAIK they have a quick drying cycle, but not enough to thoroughly dry a big or long haired dog.

Will report back as things progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

So, good news for those if you still interested.

We brought Sam up to the Texaco on the Ballygall road in Finglas over the weekend, and it worked out fine. (Although I have just emailed the speedwash.ie people to let them know that this unit needs servicing!) There are 2 options - €7 or €9, with the difference being the length of time allowed to use the different cycles.

Although at first I though the almost pressure-washer strength of the hose might be a bit overkill, I reased it's probably to help you get a deep clean while washing with one hand! After the rinse, there's (apparently supposed to be) a quick strong blast of cold air so you can clean down the water from inside the unit to help dry your mutt. The follow-on warm air blast didn't happen on the unit, but Sam accepted it and we got most of the water off him. A quick towel dry (and a short walk around the nearby park) and he was right as rain (whatever that means!), smelling and looking much cleaner.

I did find the machine a little dirty when we started the cycle and had to use the first bit of the cycle to clean it down (and again towards the end), but it does advertise that there should be an automatic unit cleaning cycle that begins 1 minute after the dryer cycle finishes. This didn't happen during the few minutes after we had finished and were towel-drying Sam.

That said, we'll probably use it again next time.

Jagerboy.

Advertisement