Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Ceoil 2014.

Options
  • 26-01-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭

It has been announced today that the 2014 Fleadh will be in Sligo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

delighted! could never manage to get to all the fleadhs up north. way too awkward to get to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aug23

When you're in Cork, Sligo is still fairly "north"... So Ennis for fleadh 2017??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Are you sure this is correct? Do they not wait until after the fleadh before announcing it? Anyways, I've never been to Sligo so yeah, all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Maybe they want a place prepared for a backup if Derry can't go ahead this year. May need to do so for at least the competitions as many parents may not be happy to bring kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Are you sure this is correct? Do they not wait until after the fleadh before announcing it? Anyways, I've never been to Sligo so yeah, all for it!

Sligo it is for 2014. Vote was taken last weekend at Comhaltas H.Q.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Are you from Sligo yourself policarp? Whats the town like? Well suited for a fleadh?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

QUOTE=NoviGlitzko;82957428]Good stuff. Are you from Sligo yourself policarp? Whats the town like? Well suited for a fleadh?[/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure Sligo wouldn't have been selected if it didn't have all the facilities necessary.
    The Fleadh was in Sligo 3 times before '89, '90 and '91 IIRC.

Good stuff. Are you from Sligo yourself policarp? Whats the town like? Well suited for a fleadh?

Not from Sligo myself, but as JonEBGud said, the Fleadh was there before, so they must have done something right, back then, to get it back again, ahead of Clare and Louth.
    Looking forward to Derry.
    Hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure the Derry fleadh will be a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 colm1982

Derry should have had the chance to get a second year out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

colm1982 wrote: »

Why ?
    They were parachuted into it in the first place so should not expect the normal opportunity for a 2nd go.
    Did they even apply for 2014 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Probably got it because it UK's City of Culture 2013. I can only imaging the discussion that went on to agree to that.

colm1982 wrote: »
    They didn't apply, so couldn't have been considered.
    trad wrote: »
    Probably got it because it UK's City of Culture 2013.
    That is the reason they applied for it.

What about the gathering for here? :p

What about the gathering for here? :p

Offaly again?

I'd love for the Fleadh to be back in Tullamore but that's me being selfish to a degree. I did have a great time when it came to my town though must be said.

Bray would be nice, I could walk there.

Advertisement