Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase ukulele?

• 26-01-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I'm an American coming to Limerick in late March.
    I have quite a few friends in Limerick and have visited about 4 times over the past 7 years so I'm somewhat familiar with the downtown area.

I'm also an avid ukulele player (very popular on west coast of USA), and want to buy one to play while I'm there, and leave it with one of my friends as a gift.

Can anyone point me to a music store in downtown Limerick that might sell them? Do people even play ukulele in Ireland? I would assume so...

Cheers,
    Skottoman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Savins on O'Connell street would be your best bet Skotto

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Skottoman

Hey, McLove!
    (Are you really back in Santa Cruz?)

One of my friends suggested Savins, but they are non musical, so was posting here hoping to get a musician or 2 to chime in...
    Anyone been in Savins that would know what they have in terms of ukuleles?

Cheers,
    Skottoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Savins Tends to just keep a few sopranos of different makes, FSV sound and vision,top of William st (Mulgrave street) are about the same. 4corners on Shop st Galway is a good source of Uke related stuff and also one or two of the shops in Cork city.Ye'll get a cheap Mahalo anywhere

Awesome, thanks Faing!
    I probably won't be making it up to Galway, or down to Cork, but if Savins has a few sopranos, that will do. A concert would be better, but I'll have to see what they have when I'm there. I'll check out FSV also.

What's the popularity of the ukulele in Ireland? Do people ever use them for traditional irish music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Skottoman wrote: »
    Hey, McLove!
    (Are you really back in Santa Cruz?)

One of my friends suggested Savins, but they are non musical, so was posting here hoping to get a musician or 2 to chime in...
    Anyone been in Savins that would know what they have in terms of ukuleles?

Cheers,
    Skottoman

I really wish I was back there sometimes :D:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I would suggest Steamboat Music, they sell and support a good range of instruments there and Im pretty sure they sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vastly Blank

Hi Skottoman,

As Faing has said, Savins tends to have sopranos (Mahalo, Vintage and Tanglewood). As for FSV they have Mahalo, Stagg, kala and lanikai ukuleles but again mainly sopranos. Both Savins and FSV have concerts from time to time. I’m not sure what brands Steamboat Music have.
    There is an irish uke site ( http://ukeireland.com/) for Irish uke players so they may be able to help you in locating fellow players in limerick. Also check out Peter Delaney on YouTube, he is a limerick songwriter and uke player.

Hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

OR..www.strings.ie do good ukes so if you knew the address of where you are staying they could have one shipped to you in advance

This is great, I appreciate the responses... A Kala, or Lanikai would be about the budget and quality I'd like.
    I'm 99% sure I've walked past FSV before... so I know where that is.
    I'll most likely check Savins first though because I'm staying close to O'Connell street...

Cheers,
    Skottoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

I got a Lanikai LU21C from FSV about a year ago, great value, well made , nice tone, all round good uke for reasonable money. I'd imagine they'd order you one in if you contacted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Izeebell

Skottoman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm an American coming to Limerick in late March.
    I have quite a few friends in Limerick and have visited about 4 times over the past 7 years so I'm somewhat familiar with the downtown area.

I'm also an avid ukulele player (very popular on west coast of USA), and want to buy one to play while I'm there, and leave it with one of my friends as a gift.

Can anyone point me to a music store in downtown Limerick that might sell them? Do people even play ukulele in Ireland? I would assume so...

Cheers,
    Skottoman

Hey Skottoman!

People in Ireland do indeed play ukulele, but I can't find many players in Limerick. I am in the university here and have been trying to establish a group to get together and jam but have had some difficulty. Let me know if you inspire anyone to take it up or you yourself would like to join!
    Enjoy your stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Regarding Irish players, check out the West Cork Ukulele Orchestra here: https://www.facebook.com/westcorkuke

On Youtube Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWhkoq7d4E4

Advertisement