Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas printing

• 26-01-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everybody, this is my first post and i would like to get some clarification on a image quality/printing issue.

at first - I'm not sure if this is the right place but hopefully someone can help me ;-)

I want to print an image on canvas (as big as possible) but i am not really sure if my image will print well. i know that the higher the resolution the better the quality. my image is not great, 1600x1200pixels.

I spoke to one company on the phone today and they assured me that it will print ok as a 30x20in canvas. I'm a bit skeptical. Can it really be printed that big and still have good quality?

I also went online and i looked up companies that print canvas and they all seem to have different ideas regarding the image size. this website (http://thecanvasworks.ie/about/advice.asp) say that minimum image is 800x600. really? isn't that too low? others are more vague and don't really say much. other say the minimum image quality should be 250kb (http://www.hellocanvas.ie/process).

I also found a website that lets you upload the image to check the quality - and they say the maximum size i can do is 16x12in(http://printedcanvas.ie/canvas-prints.html)???who do i belive? has anybody had any dealings with this websites? have you printed a big canvas from a small image? can you recomend somebody?

Thanks and sorry for the big post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

You haven't given us the resolution. Is it 72dpi, 150dpi or what? Ideally, it should be 300dpi for printing. If it's less than 220 dpi I'd forget about the 30x20 and if it is only 72 dpi I'd forget about printing it full stop. I'd chance the Printedcanvas.ie and go for 16x12. You really need a high res image for 30x20.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Fnergg wrote: »
    You haven't given us the resolution. Is it 72dpi, 150dpi or what? Ideally, it should be 300dpi for printing. If it's less than 220 dpi I'd forget about the 30x20 and if it is only 72 dpi I'd forget about printing it full stop. I'd chance the Printedcanvas.ie and go for 16x12. You really need a high res image for 30x20.

Regards,

Fnergg

The image is 1600 x 1200 and the canvas 30 x 20. That's ~53dpi.

Might look OK from a few meters but personally, I wouldn't bother. You might get away with 100dpi on a canvas, so 16" x 12".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

its not as simple as ppi and pixels

it does depend on the image too, if is very sharp you might be surprised how big it might go

just another small point, 1600*1200is 4:3 image ratio and 30*20 is 3:2

if you wanted 30 wide it would be 22 or so high based on the shape of the image

• Registered Users Posts: 3 genocide69

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I decided to go with printedcanvas.ie (spoke with them on phone before ordering, they assured me that it will be fine).

Anyway, I got my canvas yesterday and I'm really surprised how good it looks. Really happy, thanks again for helping out.

Advertisement