Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Learning Curve

• 26-01-2013 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

Following on from these threads:

Improving Factory CZ 452
    Rest

Headed to the range today armed with a Caldwell Rock rest and plenty of ammo with the intention of breaking the 230 mark.

The day started out very badly. I was treating my rifle as proper BR rig so was using very little contact and left the rifle sitting nicely in the back bag.

I shot 5 cards with scores varying from 205-217. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going wrong on every card. There was a bad wind and while this was a factor for the bad scores I was also having terrible trouble with verticals. Anything I did just wouldn't work so disheartened and annoyed I went for a cuppa tea and a bite to eat.

I decided to shoot two more cards before I headed home and said I would go back to the way I was shooting which is with as much contact as possible.

The results were instantly better. I got a 221 223 and my PB and goal for the day a 236.

The front rest makes a big difference. It is definitely more stable and more consistent. With the bipod every shot is different.

I'm after getting a brick of Eley Match to see if I can put in higher scores than the Sk Standard plus.
    I'm used to shooting at 6.5x now so hopefully I just get the scores consistent now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When you are looking for the precision required in BR it's scary how much the wind effects the shot placement. Also how the 2's, and 3's from each row of 5 add up.

Still the 236 is a great score especially on 6.5 power. Considering the wind, and conditions that is impressive shooting. I've seen heavier, customised, etc. rifles struggle in the same conditions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Number 25 on your top card looks to be a 7 not a 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Well done Dev.

There are very few people currently hitting above 230 at any consistent level in this country.

Or if the are, they are hiding it well :)

Regards

DB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Yeah, you've been a bit strict with yerself alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    Number 25 on your top card looks to be a 7 not a 5.

Ye your right. Did I mention it was cold today :D

So I got a 223 not a 221 :)
    LB6 wrote: »
    Yeah, you've been a bit strict with yerself alright.
    Your not the first person to say that. I was shooting with dCorbus one day and after shooting we scored the cards and I only gave myself the higher points when the line was actually broken but he took out a little card with the diameter of a .22, 9mm, .45 etc and some the ones that were close to the line turned out to be the higher points. I have probably marked points off me on nearly every card but sure no harm done.

• Advertisement

Hi Dev,

Don't use that Card DCorbus has for Benchrest :(

Its far too generous and is designed for Gallery Rifle & Pistol, and the same lever of accuracy is not required or used.

You need to get the Plug type gauges, either non magnified (best option) or magnified. You would be surprised as to how many times you will get the higher point.

If you think, it may be very close to the line, the likelihood is that it is :) and in most cases the scorer will always try to give the shooter the points instead of taking them away, and the plug guage stops the argument of is it in, is it not in :)

I can send you one if you like, as I bought a few off Intershoot last year and have a few spares.

Regards

DB

PM Sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

nice shooting dev, how come you didnt use the rest of your sighters?

DB save one of them plug gauges for me please.

I have never done it. I have 16 cards done now and only ever fire at the first 1 or 2 sighter targets and once I know what the wind is doing I just remember that and hold off accordingly. I'm just so used to FTR with only 2 sighters.

make use of everything, esp in training sessions

• Advertisement

I don't shoot anything close to the amount of BR I used to, but I would still fire sighters on every line, every time.

I would normally shoot 3 shots each line, but sometimes more, as the wind can change overall a lot in 30 minutes :)

Regards

DB

@HOMERHOP - Will do

I'm going to have to get used to using more sighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

dev your really starting to piss me off with those scores :mad:
    They are getting to the stage where I'll give up before I start. :mad:

DB save a plug gauge for me as well please. ;)

Sounds like my devious plan is working. Eliminate the competition before they even start :D

After sorting out the torque settings for the Eley Match I shot the remaining 15 targets and got a 137 out of 150.
    The last 4 targets is where it gets interesting though.

Things were going well and I was making good wind calls but on the 12th target it started lashing rain. The round dropped down 0.25". I thought it was the ammo and went over to the sighters and fired 4 shots. They all went low also. I gave it two clicks up and fired again. This round came back to where they were suppose to be.

I got caught with the wind on the 13th target and managed a 10 on the 14th. On the 15th target the rain lightened off to a drizzle and then that round went high.

What exactly causes this? Drop in atmospheric pressure or just the rain?

IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dev110 wrote: »
    What exactly causes this? Drop in atmospheric pressure or just the rain?
    This is me repeating what i read so no idea how accurate it is.

One man, into his BR, reckoned that heavy rain created a "barrier" and the bullet passing through it slowed causing a drop in POI. I suppose he meant it's like running on normal ground then in water. Same energy output but different results. :)

The same man done articles on atmospheric differences, harmonics, etc. been a while but i'll try and dig out the articles. Might be of some interest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

You will find with the Eley Match that you will be getting good scores and all of a sudden you get a flier, even on the calmest of days.It is a major problem that lads have with them, that's why you will find most are shooting the RWS R50 ammo.

I wanted to get RWS but Jim had none left so just said I'd pick up some Eley.

What other dealers sell target ammo?

Hilltop usually have a good stock of rws

Rain does seem make a difference to POI

Another reason to shoot your sighters on every line :)

Also, I personally never adjust the scope for wind etc, but aim off, not sure what others do.

DB

• Advertisement

I adjust the windage for a certain condition and then aim off from there.

Advertisement