Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine within web page

Options
  • 26-01-2013 7:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭

Does anyone know the best way to put a magazine with page flip within a site? I see some some stand alone programs that do it but not sure what way to go.. Any advice would be great ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Go with standards-compliant technology and avoid anything that uses inaccessible gimmicks and transitions such as page flip effects. You'll probably be making your content inaccessible to a large percentage of users (on mobile devices and using accessibility aids) just for the sake of a cheap, tacky thrill, which the user will probably tire of quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

I used issuu.com recently.

Just embed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cormee wrote: »
    Go with standards-compliant technology and avoid anything that uses inaccessible gimmicks and transitions such as page flip effects. You'll probably be making your content inaccessible to a large percentage of users (on mobile devices and using accessibility aids) just for the sake of a cheap, tacky thrill, which the user will probably tire of quite quickly.

Fully agree - why would you want to make it difficult for many of your users, e.g. those who don't have flash (including iPad and other mobile users)? Just put the PDF up there and keep it simple and functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Any one of these I have had the misfortune to come across, the machine on which I was viewing it came to a crawl, even the well resourced ones.

All things considered, the outcome is a classic style over substance mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

Thanks for all the responses. I totally agree and do not fall for any of the smoke and mirrors of the gimmicky options, however, when you say standards compliant technology, if the magazine is given to me as a PDF what is the best compliant way to do it... Is it by

- using some Java such as pdf.js (e.g. http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/web/viewer.html)
    - embed it using the <embed> tag
    - embed it using the <object> tag

Or is there a more compliant method as there seems to be a good few plausible ways but I would like to get the best practice?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Toosey wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. I totally agree and do not fall for any of the smoke and mirrors of the gimmicky options, however, when you say standards compliant technology, if the magazine is given to me as a PDF what is the best compliant way to do it... Is it by

- using some Java such as pdf.js (e.g. http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/web/viewer.html)
    - embed it using the <embed> tag
    - embed it using the <object> tag

Or is there a more compliant method as there seems to be a good few plausible ways but I would like to get the best practice?

Cheers

Embed/object are essentially a 'black-box' on a webpage — the content won't be added to the Search Index (for that page), you can't easily resize the text or change the colour contrast, screen-readers will have problems with it, etc.

HTML is always best practice on the web — rather than trying to embed a PDF within a webpage, why not take the original content from where you generated the PDF & make a web page from this?

You can leave a link to the PDF if people want to print/download, etc.

Advertisement