Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny: Whats with the wierd "arch" things

Options
  • 26-01-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

Walking up the main street one sees them every 100 odd metres or so.

What are they ? At first I thought thery were some kind of pedestrian crossings but theres no road markings and cars dont seem to stop for people there :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

They have that yellow tactile paving on both sides so I've always assumed they were meant as crossing points, they just get in the way more than anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Harps wrote: »
    They have that yellow tactile paving on both sides so I've always assumed they were meant as crossing points, they just get in the way more than anything though

agreed i usually end up crossing on either side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

along with the potted trees they just clutter up the street.

typical waste of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been a while since down the Main Street, any pics, anything to do with the Dry Arch structure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Its the new gallows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭donegal_man

My guess is these are the structures in question. Like danniemcq the tactile paving led me to think they're intended as crossings but they might just be a bit of modern street art
    A lad in McGinley's insists that they're trans dimensional portals for the transportation of $h!t€ electronic music

2560522_df447a42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They're crossing points as opposed to pedestrian crossings which either have black/white road markings or are governed by lights. They are ramped for prams and pushchairs. The arches were erected as part of the main street rejuvenation work carried 2 years ago and are purely for decoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

My observations after a few Saturday nights having to walk up letterkenny main street about 2am is that they are launch pads for idiots. There seems to be more people climbing on them and shouting some sort of battle cries that there are people crossing the road at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

treccie wrote: »
    and shouting some sort of battle cries that there are people crossing the road at them.

if that was last friday with the snow it was due to quite a large snowball battle. The arches were used to hide behind so that was kinda useful!

Advertisement