Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone scam from Slovenian number

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I got the same call about an hour ago on my landline. It's weird because I have vodafone at home broadband but I cancelled the phone line so it's dormant at the moment. If I try and ring the landline from my mobile it doesn't even register.

WTF???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Hopefully persons affected will receive a full refund .

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Retail and Consumer Services Director at ComReg Barbara Delaney said phoning the number could be costly.

I called the number back and I was on for 21 seconds and it cost be 7 cent.

You would think Comreg could have got information from the various operators on ths cost of ringing these numbers before going on radio. There are reports of the number costing 150 Euro which appears totally untrue. At least if people know it would cost a few cents it would put their minds at ease. I can't wait to get my 7 cent refunded.

The week-end is a good time to run these scams before Comreg come in to work on Monday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I got the same call about an hour ago on my landline. It's weird because I have vodafone at home broadband but I cancelled the phone line so it's dormant at the moment. If I try and ring the landline from my mobile it doesn't even register.

WTF???

Did you cancel the voice package and just keep broadband? Generally you should be able to call through if you've done this. If you've cancelled the whole line it shouldn't ring.

Are you sure its a Slovenian number showing?

A bit scary if it is and its cancelled:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

I got 5 missed from a phone number which looks similar to what you have, although it's got a different last 4 digits. I didn't know who the caller was. I was unable to answer any of their calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

Well, I Googled the phone number just now and apparently, they're telemarketers. I pulled up several complaints posted at http://www.callercenter.com and all of them reported that the callers were trying to sell them mag subscriptions. Well, I'm not interested.

papajohn12 wrote: »
    I got 5 missed from a phone number which looks similar to what you have, although it's got a different last 4 digits. I didn't know who the caller was. I was unable to answer any of their calls.
    You can't ring these numbers any more as Comreg have got the mobile operators to block calls to these numbers.

Just got the following sms from Vodafone about my 7 cent refund.

We are aware that you were recently affected by an incident where people were misled into returning a call to an international premium rate number. We can reassure you that on this occasion the charge of € 0.07 that was incurred has been credited to your account in full by Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Just got a missed call from +386087900...now I just registered for a conference in Hungary so not sure if it's as a result of that or it's the scam starting again, thought I'd stick it up here anyway. Didn't answer the phone anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Just stuck the number into google and it turned out it was Gapbuster...from Australia...phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Bump...
    Been getting calls from various numbers since 10am this morning. The numbers start with +966. Anyone else getting these?

Advertisement