Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you miss?

• 26-01-2013 8:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭

I miss the big games between Utd and Arsenal, Keane and Vieira standing at the head of the tunnel.

FA cup on the BBC.

Ian Harts free kicks for Leeds.

Anything ye miss from the past? Probably just nostalgia. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The top flight...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd be here all day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Cristiano Ronaldo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

"The goal" - Fernando Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Being allowed to tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Nobby Solano and Laurent Roberts left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dion Dublin's volleys

Olof Mellberg's beard

Ian Taylor

The feeling of watching Monday Night Football, now it's just 1 game of way too many in a week.

Live saturday games on RTE

Alan Shearer's celebration, instead of t-shirt messages, backflips or stupid dances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Andy Gray (on commentary).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Xabi Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fantasy Football with Skinner and Baddiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Oh, and Ljungberg's prupley red mohawk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I truly miss watching Roy Keane play. The way he could lift club and country to new heights was extraordinary. I don't think I've ever invested so much hope and belief upon one player. In the years 99-01 it was as if with Keano in the team, United - and Ireland - could beat anybody.

People can criticize him for many things but you can't take away the fact that this man was a true world class talent - and he was ours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Duff wrote: »
    Nobby Solano and Laurent Roberts left foot.

+1000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Henrik Larsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Eternal Flame on the badge of Liverpool's jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

The gung-ho style of the premier league in the mid 90s....so many great games in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

When ball-boys didn't get man of the match :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

alonso and torres for pool
    mourinho in the pl
    tough tackilng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Ireland home matches on weekday afternoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gabriel Egan on Friday nights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The Eternal Flame on the badge of Liverpool's jerseys

It's still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

georgi kinkladze & matt letissier

ravenelli. lombardo, juninho,zola, all good characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Shed at Turners Cross.

Roy Keane.

Ireland being respected in World Football.

Frank Sauzee.

about 1000 more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I know the advent of all seaters is down to safety but the atmosphere was something else when standing on a packed terrace or grassy knoll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

I miss the days when clubs didnt get handouts by glorified pimps looking for an ego boost. I m biased as a United fan but City were a completet joke before the petro dollars came into the equation . To get a free stadium and a blank cheque embodied all thats wrong with the game when you see the efforts made by clubs like Everton.

Its easy to fall into the trap of looking back through rose tinted glasses at players in a certain era but at present there is a serious pool of talent playing the game. The likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, RVP, Casillas, Rooney, Aguero etc would grace any era and I think we re lucky to be seeing them in their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Melion wrote: »
    It's still there

Where? I can only see the Liverbird, the Gates with the Eternal Flame are only on the back, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Checking up scores on Aertel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Irish players in green

• Advertisement

green for an irish player :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Irish players in [COLOR="Green"]green[/COLOR]

The frantic panic when you realise there's been a goal because it's gone from 2 pages long to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Watching International tournaments and Champions League games and discovering great players. With the internet and tv we've pretty much heard of any players that are good before the tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The frantic panic when you realise there's been a goal because it's gone from 2 pages long to 3.

and it ALWAYS skipped the page you wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Aertel used get so much wrong though. I suppose it was funny when look back now.

I remember about 8-9 years ago keeping update on the Hearts-Hibs derby. Was about 4.50 so was near full time. Hibs got late goal to make it 4-2. I am pretty happy bunny. Next thing it says full time. I get off my chair and dance around sitting room to my friends amusment. Next thing my friends tell me to stop and look at Aertel again. It says 4-4 and the scorers pop up. Hearts scored 2 deep into injury time.

My friends just wish they were able record that moment cause they said I went white in colour. Did not even end up going out that night.

So thanks Aertel. Thanks a lot.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I miss having to watch match of the day otherwise come monday you couldn't be involved in the conversations. These days if you miss it you get the highlights online or goals on sunday or the premiership on RTE or sunday evening on sky sports.

First world problem I know but theres something about everyone being on the one page I miss

• Advertisement

always remember tony yebohas screamer, off the crossbar and in, fist time i saw that happen, thought he was class then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Serie A on a Monday night on Network 2.

Merlin sticker albums.... Have, Have, Have, Have, NEED, Have.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Serie A on a Monday night on Network 2.

Merlin sticker albums.... Have, Have, Have, Have, NEED, Have.

ha ha class, ya b*****d you have a shiny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland v England competitive internationals (I know its only the draw that keeps them apart but back in the late 80s early 90s they were common)

FA cup final replays

football italia on channel 4 in the 90's when all the big names were playing in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For me, I don't think there's any tv show theme in the world that brings back more memories than this.

GOLACCIOOOO!

pink newspaper?richardson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

also miss defenders having crooked noses such as Steve Bruce and Mick McCarthy....now defenders have fecking ponytails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I used to work in a Texaco service station when younger, Saturdays were a killer knowing the football was on, I had no real way of finding out the results back then while working.

Used to look forward to the Pink Evening Herald so much. It came about 6/7 if i remember correctly, Had all the days results on the back page.

I Used to meet my Dad coming home on the bus that evening and we'd head home just in time for Match of the Day. Great memories.

I don't get the Herald or watch Motd very often these days and results are never far away no matter where you are. With that progression in my lifetime so far I envisage a time where we will know the results of most games before they kick off and not just in Italy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

FA cup final replays

And FA cup ties that sometimes went on for 3 or 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Truly unique jerseys, remember the Liverpool green and white squares and the yellow away one with the huge crest through it.

Black boots, with studs.

roanoke wrote: »
    And FA cup ties that sometimes went on for 3 or 4 games.

The United v Arsenal replay in 1999 was the last cup semi final replay. Gary Neville said in an interview that that game felt like the end of an era with the pitch invasion etc. FA Cup finals being replayed mid week were great aswell, i remember arsenal playing sheffield wed in '93 on a wednesday and andy linighan getting a late winner

mitre football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Heskey.

ade akinbiyi...

• Advertisement
Advertisement