Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you miss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Rte showing live games on sports stadium at 3 on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

roanoke wrote: »
    And FA cup ties that sometimes went on for 3 or 4 games.

Can't remember what round but one I remember was Arsenal Sheff Wed went to 5 matches in 78/79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I miss when football was more about the sport than making money, when players being loyal to a club was not as rare as it is these days. Maybe I'm just getting old though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I miss looking forward to seeing Ireland play matches. I watch most of 'em, but I don't look forward to watching them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Showing age.

Division 1-4

Plough Lane

And a controversal one, terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Watching Thierry Henry play in the PL

Having Torres play for us when he was on form. It's like watching a different player seeing him flounder at Chelsea :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bob Paisley.

Pre-SKY football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

n32 wrote: »
    I miss the days when clubs didnt get handouts by glorified pimps looking for an ego boost. I m biased as a United fan but City were a completet joke before the petro dollars came into the equation . To get a free stadium and a blank cheque embodied all thats wrong with the game when you see the efforts made by clubs like Everton.

Its easy to fall into the trap of looking back through rose tinted glasses at players in a certain era but at present there is a serious pool of talent playing the game. The likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, RVP, Casillas, Rooney, Aguero etc would grace any era and I think we re lucky to be seeing them in their prime.

That stadium was built well before the oil money came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

the crazy gang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

eh i dunno wrote: »

Yes! Who remembers this game? Always sticks out in my mind when I think of RTE live games on a Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

pink newspaper?richardson

gazzetta dela sport & richardson at trendy street cafe bar thingys looking smug:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Saint and Greavsie

Des Lynam

Jimmy Hill

Jumpers for Goalposts

Ian Marshall

Jason Lee

Roy Wegerle

Statto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Getting Shoot or Match magazine with the league table poster and team ladders and putting them on my bedroom wall. Do they still do them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When FA cup final day was an event. World snooker champ doing trick shots; Question of Sport special etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

536954_481022465290007_1404690587_n.jpg

That team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

what about nowadays baz..not a bad group these are
    640x360_5_CANDIDATS.v1351527171.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i miss Ronaldinho at his peak for Barca
    was such a joy to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That Madrid team, whilst probably not as talented, just had an aura about them that made them special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I miss the days when clubs didnt get handouts by glorified pimps looking for an ego boost. I m biased as a United fan but City were a completet joke before the petro dollars came into the equation .

Being a mid table team in the Premier League is a complete joke is it? :rolleyes:

I do love these bitter posts though, the reason you don't like it is because it means your lot no longer have it all your own way (odd blip aside) in the league. Boo hoo.

Anyway, I miss Ian Woan's left foot, collecting Merlin stickers, getting Shoot every week before defecting to Match, the pink Herald on a Saturday before mass, and Ceefax page 312 for random gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lol oh dear.....

Yes actually somebody mentioned standing. I miss being able to stand at games. Hope terraces make comeback someday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

00006b64-642.jpg
    Kilkenny City, freezing my nuts off in Ireland's coldest stadium.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I miss hope

Im a Leeds fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Robbie Fowler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Being a mid table team in the Premier League is a complete joke is it? :rolleyes:

I do love these bitter posts though, the reason you don't like it is because it means your lot no longer have it all your own way (odd blip aside) in the league. Boo hoo.

The point is Big teams earned their way to the top a la United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds sorta.You feel if the ability to buy a team and a Fantasy Football team of players teams like Everton would achieve what United and the Pool did. City got an influx of cash. Players who undoubtedly never heard of the club before coming in and talking about how they really wanted to play for this team :rolleyes: etc and essentially buying success. No transition. No clever Clough-esque managerial prowess. No marquee signings when you can just make a marquee team :p Football used to be a sport not just a business or some billionaires real life FIfa team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That Super Depor team around 2000

Rivaldo at his peak, really the only highlight of Barcelona from 1999-2003
    Gabriel Egan on Friday nights.

Immediately what I thought of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

puma kings, the old proper ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Timmyctc wrote: »
    The point is Big teams earned their way to the top a la United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds sorta.You feel if the ability to buy a team and a Fantasy Football team of players teams like Everton would achieve what United and the Pool did. City got an influx of cash. Players who undoubtedly never heard of the club before coming in and talking about how they really wanted to play for this team :rolleyes: etc and essentially buying success. No transition. No clever Clough-esque managerial prowess. No marquee signings when you can just make a marquee team :p Football used to be a sport not just a business or some billionaires real life FIfa team.

Working your way to the top was extinct long before City got a handout. Look at how many teams won the Premier League in its first ten years. United and Arsenal plus Blackburn once, and they got a massive handout from a wealthy owner long before either City or Chelsea went down that avenue.

The only way to break the monopoly was to invest heavily, otherwise it would still just be United, United, United, Random one season wonder, United, United, maybe Arsenal, United...etc etc.

I understand why people don't like it but what else could have been done to achieve success? Realistically.

The reference to a midtable top flight team as a "complete joke" was what irked me most really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Shaun Goater

Feed the goat and he will score.....

& Paulo Wanchope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I miss the days when clubs didnt get handouts by glorified pimps looking for an ego boost. I m biased as a United fan but City were a completet joke before the petro dollars came into the equation . To get a free stadium and a blank cheque embodied all thats wrong with the game when you see the efforts made by clubs like Everton.

I miss when football fans were not interested in finances and cared about football.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This team.

cafu.jpg

alessandro.nesta.jpg

431%20stam2fi.jpg

costacurta1.jpg

paolo_maldini-693.jpg

Claudio_Serginho_576866.jpg

Clarence-Seedorf-poses-0000003326.jpg

kaka.jpg

85740MassimoAmbrosini.jpg

303.jpg

stor_6080616_17020.jpg

RUI%20COSTA.jpg

310.jpg

36008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When fully grown men didn't fall like bitches at the tip of a boot, rolling like they have been shot 5 times in the leg and head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eigrod wrote: »
    Bob Paisley.

Pre-SKY football.

So you preferred seeing your team on TV once a month rather than once a week ?

So you preferred seeing your team on TV once a month rather than once a week ?

Maybe he actually goes to matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Subutteo

Klinsman when he went to spurs on loan.

Ian wright (always shocked he could not do it for England.)

Steve Bruce getting the ball to the nut sack. seemed like a regular thing.

SOS for blackburn. A pair that just clicked

watching cantona look at Andy Cole with disgust everytime he flucked up....and he did a fair bit.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Maybe he actually goes to matches?

Then Sky should not matter a damn to him/her

racso1975 wrote: »
    watching cantona look at Andy Cole with disgust everytime he flucked up....and he did a fair bit.

One of the great myths in football.

Then Sky should not matter a damn to him/her

It obviously does.

I think that's the point of the thread.

Jason Lee
    Jimmy Hill

There is a perception that English football was better pre 1992.

it wasn't , pre 1992 it was on its knees, riddled with hooligans and played in places that were death traps, it was years behind Italy in attracting too international players.

But since 1992 and the arrival of TV money, grounds have improved, better players have arrived, coverage has increased a billion %.

Anyone who thinks that is a bad thing is delusional if you ask me

it wasn't , pre 1992 it was on its knees, riddled with hooligans and played in places that were death traps, it was years behind Italy in attracting too international players.

But since 1992 and the arrival of TV money, grounds have improved, better players have arrived, coverage has increased a billion %.

In fairness Liverpool were best team in Europe for 10 odd years. Forrest and Villa also won EC.

What set football back in England was the ban in Europe then it lost its edge for decade or so. The standard was still decent then just maybe lacked the money etc from Europe.

• Advertisement

it wasn't , pre 1992 it was on its knees
    , riddled with hooligans and played in places that were death traps, it was years behind Italy in attracting too international players.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

I miss absolutely packed pubs, especially on a Sunday, when there tended to be the BIG match on. Nowadays with so many games the footballs almost a given background distraction.

I remember going to the Cuckoo's Nest to see Blackburn play Utd the year Blackburn won the title. Atmosphere as good as at a live game, a group of ABUs complete with ABU kit in the corner cheering Blackburn on frantically, rival Utd fans cheering back. All in great humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Footballs that were footballs and not beachballs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saint & Greavsie on ITV on a sat afternoon

'he's got a pineapple, on his head!' (skinner and Baddiel fun again)

Remember when 'the foreigners' started coming into the leave and wondering which big name would come in next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

eh i dunno wrote: »

Is it just me? Maybe Im losing it!!
    Were the matches on rte delayed, by about 20 minutes or half an hour? The full match was shown, but werent live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

One of the great myths in football.

That Cantona disliked Cole or that Cole flucked up? I am inparticular referring to his first 6 months. He really missed a voodoo amount of chances. I do think he is one of utds most underrated greats

• Advertisement

inmyday wrote: »
    Were the matches on rte delayed, by about 20 minutes or half an hour? The full match was shown, but werent live.

Pre premiere league they were live, then in the early days of the premier league they were delayed about 30mins, then they were gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

theteal wrote: »
    puma kings, the old proper ones

Best boots ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The original Ronaldo.
    *finger wag*

racso1975 wrote: »
    That Cantona disliked Cole or that Cole flucked up? I am inparticular referring to his first 6 months. He really missed a voodoo amount of chances. I do think he is one of utds most underrated greats

More his F ups then anything. It was more his Quality of misses then his Quantity of misses.

Agree with you on second point.

inmyday wrote: »

Yes you're correct.

30 minutes delay mostly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement