Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you miss?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hold the back page on a Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Team posters in shoot.
    New kits lasting 2 seasons
    Big Jack
    Buying shoot was the only way to see your teams new jersey(no internet)
    Getting autographs in Landsdowne
    Listening to BBC radio 5 live with a crap reception
    Atari 2600 football game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Chasing West Ham down the old kent road and kicking Fack outta them!!!!

Where do i start......

Premier League sticker books - Have have have have have have have need!!!

Matt Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Roy Keane, Patrick Viera,Robbie Fowler sure i still play Championship manager 01/02

the spice boys

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Not having to listen to commentators trying to make stories out of nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Oh I miss the days when SkySports news was free. Used to watch the soccer special, and there used to be early kick offs with Utd. and they'd show the goals as they happen. And the pins and needles you'd get when they'd go on a break and the first thing they just show the goal straight without any talking :P

I remember Forlan scoring in injury time v Chelsea many years ago and this happened. Good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Teams lining out 1 to 11.

Collina reffing the big European matches.

Trying to get BBC radio reception.(Not easy in the backhole of Mayo)

Tango footballs.

11pm kickoffs at Mexico 86.

English commentary on RTE during World Cups.

FAI Cup Finals at Dalymount Park (always raining).

FA Cup and Scottish Cup finals on the same day.

The soul crushing depression of a Northern Ireland match on BBC during Grandstand.

All out attack Brazilian teams.

Maradona carring his country on his back to World Cup victory, then doing similar in what was then the toughest league on the planet. (Messi my hole!)

Brian Clough.

Kenny whinging about plastic pitches.

Standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was about to say the BBC vidiprinter but just realised that I don't actually miss it, Gillette soccer Saturday on sky sports news is far better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Remember when players were allowed to celebrate. With the fans, taking their top off. Getting booked for that is a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Adidas Preditors(The real ones)

The old goal of the month music on Match of the Day, around like 1999,2000. People might remember the music from when Darren Huckerby was on fire.

Savio(for Real Madrid, I loved the guy for some reason)

When La Liga was more competitve

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Yes! Who remembers this game? Always sticks out in my mind when I think of RTE live games on a Saturday

First thing I thought of when Saturday games on RTE was mentioned. Ridiculous score to lose by at home. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

1. When ball boys didn't lie on top of the playing ball in order to waste time.

2. When kicking the ball from out under said ballboy (see point 1) was not classed as violent conduct by the FA.

ahhh, I miss the good aul days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Brian Clough in his pomp.

A time when Ipswich could be champions of England.

Parma 1994 (Buffon, Brolin, Zola, Asprilla)

Giles philosophy as manager at Shamrock Rovers

When the ball was laced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I miss hope

Im a Leeds fan

You lot are beating spurs at the moment. Hope's still alive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

mitosis wrote: »
    Brian Clough in his pomp.

A time when Ipswich could be champions of England.

Giles philosophy as manager at Shamrock Rovers

When the ball was laced.

In fairness Monaco got to Champions League final like 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

mitosis wrote: »

Buffon was 16 in 1994. He didn't make his debut until 95 and didn't play regularly until 96/97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Patser wrote: »
    I miss absolutely packed pubs, especially on a Sunday, when there tended to be the BIG match on. Nowadays with so many games the footballs almost a given background distraction.

I remember going to the Cuckoo's Nest to see Blackburn play Utd the year Blackburn won the title. Atmosphere as good as at a live game, a group of ABUs complete with ABU kit in the corner cheering Blackburn on frantically, rival Utd fans cheering back. All in great humour.

That sounds...... horrible. And Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Watching the Liverpool v Oldham game and there was a stoppage just now to tend to Fabio Borini who was caught in the side of the head by a football he was looking to block. I miss real footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Watching the Liverpool v Oldham game and there was a stoppage just now to tend to Fabio Borini who was caught in the side of the head by a football he was looking to block. I miss real footballers.

To be fair he got lashed in the head with a clearance. No problem with that. It's the twits appealing for free kicks mid-fall/dive that annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

30 minute delayed full coverage on RTE every Saturday. Running up to the local shop every Saturday morning to check the RTE guide to see if Arsenal where this weeks game.

• Advertisement

Also

Watching the 'Vidi print' on BBC for scores hearing Arsenal scored and knowing it was Ian Wright before they said.

When Arsenal went one up and you just knew the game was over!

Keane and Viera.

Big Jack throwing in big Quinny or Cascrino and getting a late goal

2 pound school boy tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Des Lynam on MOTD. Decent analysis on same program

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Highbury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Adidas Preditors(The real ones)

The old goal of the month music on Match of the Day, around like 1999,2000.

The Lightening Seeds song 'Life of Riley.... would hum it when playing in the schoolyard :D

There was a great documentary with former pro Craig Johnson about the development of the first predator boots. Think it was Panorama?
    I always wanted a pair but never got one. Some great marketing around them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Soups123 wrote: »

Watching the 'Vidi print' on BBC for scores
    ...With old fasioned typewriter noises in the background as the scores appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Gianfranco Zola and Dennis Wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Watching the games on Sports Stadium on a Saturday afternoon

Checking Aertel for scores then Ceefax took over when we got the channels

Leaving school early to watch the Ireland games

Jumpers for goalposts and stupid rules we used have as kids playing soccer :)

Getting Roy of the Rovers each week and reading Mikes Mini Men and Hot Shot Hamish

Trying to play a soccer game on the Commodore 64 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Cantona, Irwin and the Sharpie shuffle

Liverpools green away kit

Ireland being a force against anyone on their home soil

hi-sour sweets

watching MOTD on a fuzzy reception with my Dad

The dell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

La Liga highlights on TnaG during the week

Yorke and Cole pairing around 99

The Arsenal Invincibles team

When the Champions League was for "champions"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

benito carbone's chin

La Liga highlights on TnaG during the week

Yorke and Cole pairing around 99

The Arsenal Invincibles team

When the Champions League was for "champions"

Ya I remember watching the La Liga highlights show as well

TG4 also had a series called Soccer Gold or something like that used show classic World Cup games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Pro set football cards. Absolutely loved collecting them :).

Simod cup on Sky1 before premier league era.

Monday night football from White Hart Lane, we never play Monday nights anymore.

The whole school watching the Irish games on a Wednesday afternoon in the school hall.

World Cup 90 magazine which you had to collect and keep in a ring binder folder.

Collecting the Irish team stickers off the Coke bottles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

George Best on Soccer Saturday.

Watching Batistuta on Football Italia at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Bruce Grobbelaar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The Lightening Seeds song 'Life of Riley.... would hum it when playing in the schoolyard :D

Everyone I hear that tune I say to myself
    'Goal C, again scored by Alan Shearer, this time against his old club Southampton.....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Pink Evening Herald on a Saturday which had all the 3pm kickoff results in it. This was when any teletext service was hard to get and could take five minutes to load if you were lucky.

Philip Green doing commentary on the radio.

Live Premier League games on RTE on a saturday at 3pm.

MOTD with Jimmy Hill.

The argument in the pub about some score/player/team which ended up in a bet which could only be settled by producing it in written form in an official book or one of the big papers.No internet back then.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Pro set football cards. Absolutely loved collecting them :).

Simod cup on Sky1 before premier league era.

Monday night football from White Hart Lane, we never play Monday nights anymore.

The whole school watching the Irish games on a Wednesday afternoon in the school hall.

World Cup 90 magazine which you had to collect and keep in a ring binder folder.

Collecting the Irish team stickers off the Coke bottles :)
    God the Simod Cup (called the Zenith Cup for a while I think), its existence left my mind completely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I miss a time when we all knew fcuk all about football finances,a time when you would struggle to pick your owner/Charmain out in a pic.Back then it was about the football,not debit,oil,oligarchs,net spend,IPO.

Football is no longer a working mans game,in short...I miss my game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Ohh I missed a big one for me.

Peter Kenyon being in talks to sign a player! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    God the Simod Cup (called the Zenith Cup for a while I think), its existence left my mind completely

was its full name not The Zenith Data Systems Cup?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sports Stadium showing a game on a Saturday at ten past three as the could only show delayed coverage.

Sports stadium.

Italian football on Network 2.#

Listening to games on BBC radio 5 or on Sky Sports when it was the analogue system and the picture was scrambled.

Julian Dicks penalties.

Matt Le Tissier, Ian Wright, Zola, Robbie Fowler, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Klinnsmann dives, Kevin Keegan, Georgi Kinkladze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Faustino Asprilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

KingdomYid wrote: »
    this! As a 9 year old I can vividly remember watching Ireland v Denmark in a 1993 WC Qualifier at Lansdowne. 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th class all jammed into the middle big classroom. Remember being dazzled by the skill of the Laudrup brothers. Niall Quinn's flick got us the draw with the Euro Champs and we all went home happy. Bloody important point as it turned out in the finish!

I also miss Super Sunday, when it used to be good! Oh that theme music brings back memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Leaving school early to watch the Ireland games

The teacher saying "No, nope, no way" but then wheeling in the TV/Video stand a minute before kick off

\o/

Then running home at half time (they'd be 2pm kick offs, because that was 3 on the continent).

After the games, Zig & Zag becoming "Amoan Grumphy" and I can't remember the other fake name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

grenache wrote: »
    this! As a 9 year old I can vividly remember watching Ireland v Denmark in a 1993 WC Qualifier at Lansdowne. 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th class all jammed into the middle big classroom. Remember being dazzled by the skill of the Laudrup brothers. Niall Quinn's flick got us the draw with the Euro Champs and we all went home happy. Bloody important point as it turned out in the finish!

I also miss Super Sunday, when it used to be good! Oh that theme music brings back memories!

My god, can't believe I'd forgotten;
    "Here we go, here we go,
    here we go, here we go,
    This is it!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

What do you miss?

Where would I even start....
    • I miss an FA Cup and a League Cup that meant something - that in itself brings so much that I miss - packed houses - the excitment of the Cup draw on a Monday on the radio, with everyone in school huddled around the one fella who had a transistor radio - three / four / five game cup ties / sagas that would live in the memory for years - cup ties played on bogs with the underdog and the big team both going hell for leather to win,
    • I miss a European Cup played out amongst genuine champions,
    • I miss a compelling UEFA Cup,
    • I miss looking forward to Match of the Day or the excitement of football on Sportsnight, introduced by Tony Gubba :)
    • I miss squads of 13 / 14 players which meant that I could name every single player in the First Division - oh and yes, I miss the top division being called first,
    • I miss terraces with fans packed in and enjoying their reaction as their team scored a goal in front of them,
    • I miss being excited at the prospect of a live football match on telly, irrespective of who was playing,
    • I miss the skill and irreverence of players like Bob Hatton, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Vince Hilaire, Stan Bowles.....
    • I miss when players thought it a sign of weakness to go down hurt,
    • I miss the excitement of a World Cup, where you would see look forward to seeing new and great players you had never heard of - or the excitement generated by seeing as many live matches in a single day as you might see in a full football season normally,
    • I miss the half time scores around the pitch at matches and I miss the wee blue three wheel mobility cars on the sideline,
    • I miss the football of my youth.
    :(

The teacher saying "No, nope, no way" but then wheeling in the TV/Video stand a minute before kick off

\o/

Then running home at half time (they'd be 2pm kick offs, because that was 3 on the continent).

After the games, Zig & Zag becoming "Amoan Grumphy" and I can't remember the other fake name.

Im afraid our primary school didn't have a TV back then so going home at lunch time for "dentist appointments" was the thing to do :D

Things I also miss

Marco Van Basten
    Playing Subbuteo against the cousins every Sunday
    Teams like Woking playing in the FA Cup

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

\o/

Billo Hurling and Johnny Styles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ya its amazing how RTE throw millions at the likes of fair City and all the other s*ite they produce, yet cant fit in a Saturday afternoon sports show that was and still would be very popular.

Sports Stadium was class and defo with all the sports that goes on in this country, could easily fill 5 hours once a week from 12-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ya its amazing how RTE throw millions at the likes of fair City and all the other s*ite they produce, yet cant fit in a Saturday afternoon sports show that was and still would be very popular.

Sports Stadium was class and defo with all the sports that goes on in this country, could easily fill 5 hours once a week from 12-5.

People wouldn't watch it though - people either turn on Setanta for the 3 o'clock games, are in the pub for the 12.45, a 3 and a 5.30, or watch Jeff & Co on Sky.

RTE wouldn't be able to touch Soccer Saturday for the coverage.

What are you left with then? Does the AIL exist anymore? Does anyone care about it if it does? club hockey is another sport I regularly remember being mentioned on Sports Stadium - who really cares about that, apart from we might get to see Laura interviewed once a year.

Nah, the blanket Sky/Setanta/ESPN coverage of the EPL killed Sports Stadium.

I doubt RTE could compete with them for the rights to the 3PM game either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maine Road
    old city crest
    old ireland crest
    Rep of Ireland 87-92
    Lansdowne Road Lower east stand terrace with my father watching the above who could beat anyone
    Match/Shoot magazine looking at ads for jerseys i could not afford
    The working class game
    Packed terraces
    FA Cup Final day the build up from 12,the coaches arriving etc

Advertisement