Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you miss?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

People wouldn't watch it though - people either turn on Setanta for the 3 o'clock games, are in the pub for the 12.45, a 3 and a 5.30, or watch Jeff & Co on Sky.

RTE wouldn't be able to touch Soccer Saturday for the coverage.

What are you left with then? Does the AIL exist anymore? Does anyone care about it if it does? club hockey is another sport I regularly remember being mentioned on Sports Stadium - who really cares about that, apart from we might get to see Laura interviewed once a year.

Nah, the blanket Sky/Setanta/ESPN coverage of the EPL killed Sports Stadium.

I doubt RTE could compete with them for the rights to the 3PM game either.

but what is the alternative on rte right now on saturdays? reruns of Home and Away or Fair City or some s*it like that.

i think its safe to say a well produced programme would have much more attractive following than those options. Setanta is not exaclty a station rich in cash, why cant RTE outbid them for two or three games a month?

the GAA season starts next week, horse racing will start to pick up, 6 nations and heineken cup coming up - all of these properly done would have slots of 30-60 minutes in the form of previews and that doesnt include the soccer previews, updates and analysis.

lets not forget also, not everybody has sky sports in their homes so probably watch BBC. it can, with a bit of imagination and balls, be done.

if it was done right, id certainly watch it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

- Winning games of football
    - Being competitive
    - Showing ambition
    - Using the transfer window to sign players
    - Having a starting XI worth more than Joeleen Lescott
    - Keeping clean sheets
    - Competently defending set pieces

Villa fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I miss listening to 5 live commentary of the matches. Back in my school days it was the only way I could really catch a match live. Terrible reception which added to the whole drama of if as well. I remember the first 4-3 match with Newcastle, stuck beside the radio listening to the drama un-fold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Do people really miss all thses things ?

The one game a week on ITV.
    The terrible Radio 5 recpetion
    The old clapted out stadiums
    The vidi printer or the Artel service
    Not knowing tghe score of a game until much later in the day

I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Do people really miss....
    The terrible Radio 5 recpetion

Funny - another thing I forgot to mention was the crackly commentary for European and World Cup matches, that somehow added to the atmosphere and brought an awareness of watching a match from foreign shores.
    There is a perception that English football was better pre 1992.

it wasn't , pre 1992 it was on its knees, riddled with hooligans and played in places that were death traps, it was years behind Italy in attracting too international players.

But since 1992 and the arrival of TV money, grounds have improved, better players have arrived, coverage has increased a billion %.

Anyone who thinks that is a bad thing is delusional if you ask me

When I tried to explain about what I missed, a lot of what I referred to dated back to the seventies. I don't want to make an assumptions about your age, but I can't believe any youngster from that era would not miss what genuinely was back then the magic of the cup - or the weeks looking forward to the traditional diet of two or three live matches at the end of the season - huge events in themselves.

Don't get me wrong - back then football had many major flaws, but there was an awful lot that was to be treasured and which has been lost forever in the relentless march towards the perfect product - both on and off the pitch - that is the modern football experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I miss telling everyone the next superstar is Freddy Adu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Funny - another thing I forgot to mention was the crackly commentary for European and World Cup matches, that somehow added to the atmosphere and brought an awareness of watching a match from foreign shores.

Or the rubbish picture quality from behind the Iron Curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Not sure if been posted yet, Summer and January.. Religiously checking BBC text page; 338 for transfer stories.

Particularly when United were in for Ronaldinho! Loved that page!

Also loved the Madrid team with Zidane and co.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Not sure if been posted yet, Summer and January.. Religiously checking BBC text page; 338 for transfer stories.

Why January? The transfer window is only a recent thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Surprise signings. I honestly wish there was no twitter etc leaking news of signings on an hourly basis. Used to enjoy the "holy crap, we just signed xxxxx" moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Why January? The transfer window is only a recent thing.

Apologies, correct indeed!

Really enjoyed reading that page though.. Of course nowadays with the SSP app and that kinda thing.. the magic is gone imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jose, Roman has spent a small fortune hiring and firing all manner of managers and not many, with the exception of Ancellotti have come close to filling the void jose left behind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLQCPX87MpPNfZdoCOwyC_zcoPRxLBjWteQoOl95jEtdRVdFz2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

And, as a previous poster observed, the European Cup. It was pure, it was awesome, it didn't have the same matchups every season. The current competition is dull in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I miss listening to 5 live commentary of the matches. Back in my school days it was the only way I could really catch a match live. Terrible reception which added to the whole drama of if as well. I remember the first 4-3 match with Newcastle, stuck beside the radio listening to the drama un-fold
    Reception was awful and always got worse when there was a goal scoring chance.

I used to sit in the Ma's Nissan Micra listening to it because for some reason the car picked it up better than a normal radio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry...
    This thread makes me sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arsenal challenging for the title.
    Football focus, its probably still on just i haven't watched it in over 6 years.
    Liverpools 'moneyball' experiment last season.
    442 formations
    pro evo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

One of my earliest football memories is watching ManUtd v Sheffield Wednesday in my Granny's house in 1993. It was on RTE with delayed coverage. My uncle was listening to it live in another room. I'll never forget him going mental in the other room celebrating when the game I was watching still had the score at 0-1 on 85 minutes. I was a very confused little boy that afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

I miss being called a glory-hunter for supporting Liverpool !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I miss hope

Im a Leeds fan

I take it back :D

for now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The Town playing in the Premier Division.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone wrote: »
    Surprise signings. I honestly wish there was no twitter etc leaking news of signings on an hourly basis. Used to enjoy the "holy crap, we just signed xxxxx" moments.
    I think Andy Cole to Man Utd was the last big one of those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

That kind of crackley commenting on International Matches was great. Barry Davies in '86 and '90. Sigh.
    But yeah I miss Ireland being good. I miss having decent Irish players in the premiership, right now we have no one lighting up the league like we did even in the '90s and some of the 2000ies!
    Please don't bother saying Shane Long and Coleman, not in the same league as previous players, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As an Arsenal fan I miss trophies and when the summer was exciting coz we signed players.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think Andy Cole to Man Utd was the last big one of those.

Veron was a shock signing the day he arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

In national school watching Ireland vs Germany in 02, 1-0 in injury time.
    George Hamilton:"Quinn to Robbie Keane *picture goes from telly leaving sound though* Yes! It's there!"
    One of the best moments watching Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

In national school watching Ireland vs Germany in 02, 1-0 in injury time.
    George Hamilton:"Quinn to Robbie Keane *picture goes from telly leaving sound though* Yes! It's there!"
    One of the best moments watching Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

The Town playing in the Premier Division.

:(

Finn Harps in the Premier Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

909 & 693 MW.....

M5 wrote: »
    909 & 693 MW.....

That still works :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That still works :confused:
    Dead right, so does 1053 and 1089 for Talksport.:cool: