Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current account boi vs ub

Options
  • 26-01-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have a bank of Ireland current account, I did not realise they charge 28 cent per transaction or 11 euro per quarter or no charge with a balance over 3,000 euro. They also charge for transactions outside eu.

I looked up ulster bank, who do not seem to charge for transactions or standing orders etc. the charge for transactions outside eu is smaller and ATM usage is free if using an ulster bank ATM.

I am from Northern Ireland and have uk ulster bank account, I think I would benefit more from an ulster bank account in Ireland.

Can anyone advise? Any hidden drawbacks or charges i haven't thought of?
    And how easy to switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Why would do you think you would benefit more? It's hard for other people to speculate if you don't give sufficient info. Are you resident/working here? Then obviously a ROI based account is more convenient than a UK based one.

At the moment, Ulster Bank ROI has fee-free banking, but there is no guarantee that it will stay that way. Right now, it's more cost effective, but whether it remains so in the longer term is another thing. All the banks charge for non-Eurozone transactions. Ulster doesn't charge if you use an Ulster Bank/NatWest/RBS ATM in the UK however.

Switching is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kim_possible

Thank you for your input.
    Yes resident and working in Ireland.
    Currently have a bank of Ireland current account ( had it opened for years, was dormant)

Travel up north regularly so therefore think i might benefit more from ulster bank ( Ireland) account due to no transaction fees and the free withdrawals in NI.
    Ps i have a uk ulster bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Why would do you think you would benefit more? It's hard for other people to speculate if you don't give sufficient info. Are you resident/working here? Then obviously a ROI based account is more convenient than a UK based one.

At the moment, Ulster Bank ROI has fee-free banking, but there is no guarantee that it will stay that way. Right now, it's more cost effective, but whether it remains so in the longer term is another thing. All the banks charge for non-Eurozone transactions. Ulster doesn't charge if you use an Ulster Bank/NatWest/RBS ATM in the UK however.

Switching is easy enough.

I recently changed but as i said trying to get in touch with ulster bank Dundrum is not as easy as you think its not like they will lift up teh phone there as you are connected to belfast i just don't understand why you cant get straight too,

the problem to me seems if you have direct debits and allowing for closing the old bank and setting up these direct debits so they will go out in time , personally i wouldnt depend on the Ulster bank to make sure these are set up i would advise you ring up your self , as it seems now some of the Debiters require a Direct Debit Mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Travel up north regularly so therefore think i might benefit more from ulster bank ( Ireland) account due to no transaction fees and the free withdrawals in NI.

Quite likely. Bear in mind that paying by debit card will still attract charges, and using non UB ATM's also will. If you just want to use UB ATM's when there, then it would seem a reasonable choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

well I'm totally fed up with the poor customer service in BOI. Have written TWO instructions to cancel a direct debit to my savings account (also held in BOI) and they haven't done their job.
    I wrote an instruction at the start of Dec but they didn't process it and they took all my money out on 24th Dec. Went into branch to complain wrote out instruction again, and guess what, my current account is -84 right now cos they still haven't processed my instructions and have taken all my money out again. Nothing that customer service on the phone on a sunday can do....

• Advertisement
Advertisement