Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SAMSUNG HD Ready 43" Plasma TV - €399

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

1024 x 768 resolution.

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

spockety wrote: »
    1024 x 768 resolution.

Ugh.
    You a Native American?

Explain please how this is not a BA, and while you are at it explain why the resolution you pooh-pooh is so much worse than Full HD when viewed from the recommended distance.

f-Ugh-ing laughable post, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

For a 22 inches, or even a 27, 1024 could be enough. Not for a 42.
    We are not talking even about HD-ready (1280x720), so the image will be distorted, as it has less pixels in vertical, so will be compress, and more in horizontal, so it will be streched. (Actually, the pixels are not quare, but rectangular, but will still look worse than a hd-ready tv)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I bought this a few weeks ago. Picture quality is excellent, far better than I expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

serarra wrote: »
    For a 22 inches, or even a 27, 1024 could be enough. Not for a 42.
    We are not talking even about HD-ready (1280x720), so the image will be distorted, as it has less pixels in vertical, so will be compress, and more in horizontal, so it will be streched. (Actually, the pixels are not quare, but rectangular, but will still look worse than a hd-ready tv)

Maybe someone understood your post...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

surprised there's still 1024 x 768 being used for large tvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I just hit the buy button on this highly regarded Panasonic TXP42X50B 42 inch Plasma from Richersounds. The cost plus delivery to the door is just short of 410 Euro (I paid in sterling, I'll let my CC do the conversion)

I have spent some time over the last few weeks looking for a new TV and being underwhelmed by some of "better" LED products availible, In fact other than some insanly priced high end LED TV's the only TV's that impressed me where Plasma. Today I happen to see the TV the OP linked in action and it had excellent picture.

I was going to buy the TV the OP linked to until i came across the TXP42X50B which has excellent and well informed reviews here and here. It's got a “B” rating for energy efficiency which is a vast improvement on my current TV. To top it off richer sounds give a 5 year guarantee with that TV!

I've always felt that plasma's gave better picture than LCD/LED especially on SD material, hopefully my new works out as well as the reviews and feedback by owners and users over on avforums. If the PQ is like what was on The Samsung Plasma the OP linked to I'll be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

Is it really 1024 x 768 thats an old 4:3 resolution not 16:9 that cant be right not for any TV made in the last 10+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Esel wrote: »
    You a Native American?

Explain please how this is not a BA, and while you are at it explain why the resolution you pooh-pooh is so much worse than Full HD when viewed from the recommended distance.

He's got every right to question this TV really and most people with knowledge of digital video would do the same.

You may be buying a big TV but you're stretching a relatively small picture out to fit it. And at the "wrong" aspect ratio as well. Basically, it's quite below the standard of TVs today.

It may suit some peoples needs but I'd recommend doing some research on how it might affect your needs before buying.

I would take a €400 1024x768 Plasma over a €400 full HD LCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Well I hope you help out some TV store one day by informing them of this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

there isa big difference between 720 and 1080 on a 42, side by side its very apparent, better deals out there. plasma is fairly unreliable too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Plasma is fairly unreliable too

Its as reliable as any other tv.

I have one of these the last 14 months. Great tv only issue I have is it only has 2 hdmi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I just hit the buy button on this highly regarded Panasonic TXP42X50B 42 inch Plasma from Richersounds. The cost plus delivery to the door is just short of 410 Euro (I paid in sterling, I'll let my CC do the conversion)

I have spent some time over the last few weeks looking for a new TV and being underwhelmed by some of "better" LED products availible, In fact other than some insanly priced high end LED TV's the only TV's that impressed me where Plasma. Today I happen to see the TV the OP linked in action and it had excellent picture.

I was going to buy the TV the OP linked to until i came across the TXP42X50B which has excellent and well informed reviews here and here. It's got a “B” rating for energy efficiency which is a vast improvement on my current TV. To top it off richer sounds give a 5 year guarantee with that TV!

I've always felt that plasma's gave better picture than LCD/LED especially on SD material, hopefully my new works out as well as the reviews and feedback by owners and users over on avforums. If the PQ is like what was on The Samsung Plasma the OP linked to I'll be very happy.
    Good post ,well informed and concise unlike alot of the posters on this thread.

The 42X50B is an excellent set ,its won loads of awards and is extremely highly rated .
    SD tv looks great on it as does HD tv (Sky is only 1080i) .The only place the lower resolution may be an issue is Bluray but as alot of people dont use that format it may not be an issue.
    Thats an excellent price for it with a 5 year warranty .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's a lot of common misconceptions about plasma on here. Do yourselves a favour and look up the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

There's a lot of common misconceptions about plasma on here. Do yourselves a favour and look up the facts.

Only ever buy plasma, find lcd, led too artificial looking

Only ever buy plasma, find lcd, led too artificial looking

Oh I agree. My post was a bit ambiguous. I'm pro plasma. The plasma black levels are mind blowing comparing to LED or LCD TVs. I don't think I'll ever go back. As for the resolution complaints, the pixels are rectangular, as someone pointed out already.

I got Moon in 1080p and put it side by side to my parent's 42" Sony Full HD LCD and comparing to the crisp sharp details, the plasma wins clearly. Personally for movie enthusiasts plasma should be the only option.

Most videophiles and a/v enthusiasts prefer Plasma. Its simply a nicer looking technology.

Unfortunately if you want to buy into Plasma at €400 then you're going to have to make compromises. Its the same with any product. And resolution is the main compromise with a budget Plasma.

A €400 LCD set may indeed be full HD but on the downside they tend to have worse black level, uneven backlighting (clouding, flashlighting, bleed, vertical stripes), blurry motion and generally a colder less natural image.

There is similar misconception in the camera market where less educated consumers will only look at pixel count when shopping, without understanding that a quality camera is more than just the one with the most megapixels at their price point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Most videophiles and a/v enthusiasts prefer Plasma. Its simply a nicer looking technology.

really, i thought maybe i was wrong, so i googled plasma vs lcd... the reports seem to lean the other way

• Advertisement

There is similar misconception in the camera market where less educated consumers will only look at pixel count when shopping, without understanding that a quality camera is more than just the one with the most megapixels at their price point.

and how is that any way relevent, image generation and inmage output are two completely different things, the mp myth aside, any photographer worth his salt with invest heavily in high resolution, high quality displays to view their images, there is a vaste difference in 720 and 1080 quality

I cant belive people are defending this TV i really cant its 1024 x 768 resolution which a very old 4:3 version . I dont care about plasma vs LCD vs LED they all have advantages and disadvantages and each TV is different . But this TV even at €400 is a joke

really, i thought maybe i was wrong, so i googled plasma vs lcd... the reports seem to lean the other way

Nope, plasma is far better for blackness and colour reproduction. The best tv's that are currently out are the panasonic plasma range as the magazine reviews will back up.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p50gt50
    Simply put, the best just got better

and thats not even the top model, your talking serious dosh for some of these tv's though, they arent for your average punter.

Nope, plasma is far better for blackness and colour reproduction. The best tv's that are currently out are the panasonic plasma range as the magazine reviews will back up.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p50gt50

and thats not even the top model, your talking serious dosh for some of these tv's though, they arent for your average punter.

you are comparing a 1500 tv to a 400 tv... a you for real? look at the fundamental tech behind lcd and plasma and track record, this is not a new tv, your cant use that as a comparison.

you are comparing a 1500 tv to a 400 tv... a you for real? look at the fundamental tech behind lcd and plasma and track record, this is not a new tv, your cant use that as a comparison.

Im not comparing the televisions at all.

Someone made the point that av enthusiasts prefer plasma which you inferred was incorrect because you had googled it. He is correct, people who are enthusiasts will more often then not buy plasma.

As for this tv, the resolution would put me off. People should also be aware that a plasma uses about twice as much electricity than an lcd, so this needs to be taken into account. Its cheap for a reason because its probably using 10 year old technology but people are getting a big tv for cheap if that's what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I don't think the resolution is 1024x768.

Just looked at mine and when I go onto my hd upc box it says 1280 x 720 in the corner of the tv

But I just noticed that mine is the PS43D450 not sure if the difference of the E Vs D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

mememo wrote: »
    I cant belive people are defending this TV i really cant its 1024 x 768 resolution which a very old 4:3 version . I dont care about plasma vs LCD vs LED they all have advantages and disadvantages and each TV is different . But this TV even at €400 is a joke
    Trusted Reviews said of the 42X50
    With colours looking extremely natural in tone too for the most part, and motion looking miles better than it does on similarly priced rivals, it’s no stretch at all to declare the P42X50 far and away the best sub-£400 TV we’ve seen when it comes to our favourite pastime of watching films in cinematically darkened rooms.
    Yes m8 it is a joke ,rubbish tv :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Esel wrote: »
    You a Native American?

You seem to have taken a lot of offence from my one line observation, it wasn't intended.

It was simply a reaction to seeing a resolution of 1024x768 listed for any widescreen TV, let alone a 43 inch Plasma from a leading manufacturer. It is hardly ideal.

I'm sure from the recommended distance your average movie etc. will look fine, good luck with your purchase, may it give you many happy hours of viewing.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Trusted Reviews said of the

Yes m8 it is a joke ,rubbish tv :rolleyes:

Oh god not another one looks like the 42X50 is 1024x768 as well looks like its time to stop trusting Trusted Reviews :rolleyes::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Had TV for about a week now. Can honestly say it is absolutely outstanding value. Picture is great, effortless set up out of the box and works splendidly with minidisplay port to HDMI (Macbook Air to TV).

Only downside is sound is a small bit "tinny", but that really doesn't detract from the overall package.

Basic summary: I can vouch for this if you're in the market for a great widescreen TV with under €400.

Advertisement