Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a boundary hedge

• 26-01-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Currently a thick Leylandii hedge is situated between my parents house and my neighbours. Since the heavy frost two years ago it has slowly declined in quality (currently 80% dead growth)
    This year I wish to replace this vile plant with something more appealing to the eye. Preferably flowering and/or scented. I, personally, would like to have a Daphne, or something which does produce blooms at some point, but then again I feel I'm too ambitious.

The area to be planted is about 4m long X 1m wide which is surrounded by concrete driveways. It's quite sheltered from the surrounding houses and gets some sun late in the day.

I've talked to neighbours about it and they've said they like hedges on the other side of us, which is a mix of different Ligustrum. Although easy to maintain, it darkens the already somewhat dark area.

So here I ask, what do you think I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭The Gardener

Just a thought, what about replacing the hedge with a mixed shrub bed, which would give something of interest for most of the year? This way you can have larger growing shrubs where needed to define the boundary, but not blocking light like a hedge would. Cost wise, it shouldn't be a whole lot more than replanting a hedge, presuming you buy commonly grown shrubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

privacy is clearly a main issue here to be considered and not ignored.
    privit is a very good one for this type of hedge, it is suppost to be evergreen but in my back garden it is now deciduous.
    it is very easy to maintain and very forgiving of mispruning or misplanting.
    It is also very cheap to get reasonable sized plants with good root systems. The veregated one (golden) is slightly slower to grow than the green and not as dark.
    see here for mail order prices and pictures
    http://www.futureforests.net/br_hedging.htm

decide on the eventual height asap and then start pruning at about 10 inches before that to build up a face. loves chicken manure in the planting hole. Plants about a foot apart to begin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

DoBhrionn wrote: »
    Currently a thick Leylandii hedge is situated between my parents house and my neighbours. Since the heavy frost two years ago it has slowly declined in quality (currently 80% dead growth)
    This year I wish to replace this vile plant with something more appealing to the eye. Preferably flowering and/or scented. I, personally, would like to have a Daphne, or something which does produce blooms at some point, but then again I feel I'm too ambitious.

The area to be planted is about 4m long X 1m wide which is surrounded by concrete driveways. It's quite sheltered from the surrounding houses and gets some sun late in the day.

I've talked to neighbours about it and they've said they like hedges on the other side of us, which is a mix of different Ligustrum. Although easy to maintain, it darkens the already somewhat dark area.

So here I ask, what do you think I should do?

You will need to look at and quite possibly address the soil/ground if replanting.

The soil/ground below a Leylandii will be dry as fcuk and will need to be addressed.

We use www.Hedges.ie (aka PJ Larkin and Sons) and they are fantastic for price and quality of hedging and plants

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Just a thought, what about replacing the hedge with a mixed shrub bed, which would give something of interest for most of the year? This way you can have larger growing shrubs where needed to define the boundary, but not blocking light like a hedge would. Cost wise, it shouldn't be a whole lot more than replanting a hedge, presuming you buy commonly grown shrubs.

That wouldn't be a too bad of an idea. My try that, but wouldn't it be a bit small of an area for multiple hedges and shrubs?
    Oldtree wrote: »
    privacy is clearly a main issue here to be considered and not ignored.
    privit is a very good one for this type of hedge, it is suppost to be evergreen but in my back garden it is now deciduous.
    it is very easy to maintain and very forgiving of mispruning or misplanting.
    It is also very cheap to get reasonable sized plants with good root systems. The veregated one (golden) is slightly slower to grow than the green and not as dark.
    see here for mail order prices and pictures
    http://www.futureforests.net/br_hedging.htm
    decide on the eventual height asap and then start pruning at about 10 inches before that to build up a face. loves chicken manure in the planting hole. Plants about a foot apart to begin.

It's not going to be grown for total privacy as we wish it to be around 4ft high at most.
    As much as privet is easy to grow, it doesn't hold much interest, although the golden privet is something to consider.
    Thanks for the link. Some good hedges/shrubs in there.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    You will need to look at and quite possibly address the soil/ground if replanting.

The soil/ground below a Leylandii will be dry as fcuk and will need to be addressed.

We use www.Hedges.ie (aka PJ Larkin and Sons) and they are fantastic for price and quality of hedging and plants

It's very clear above ground, but that's nothing our lovely Irish summers can't sort:D

That wouldn't be a too bad of an idea. My try that, but wouldn't it be a bit small of an area for multiple hedges and shrubs?

It's not going to be grown for total privacy as we wish it to be around 4ft high at most.
    As much as privet is easy to grow, it doesn't hold much interest, although the golden privet is something to consider.
    Thanks for the link. Some good hedges/shrubs in there.

It's very clear above ground, but that's nothing our lovely Irish summers can't sort:D

So our lovely Irish summers will also place in fresh compost,manure,grit and also plant food/conditioner too???;)

The key to good plants/hedges and growth is good soil/conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

paddy147 wrote: »

So our lovely Irish summers will also place in fresh compost,manure,grit and also plant food/conditioner too???;)

The key to good plants/hedges and growth is good soil/conditions.

That I wish was possible....

That I wish was possible....

some pics to give you an idea.

A bit of elbow grease and you will then have some lovely soil for planting new hedging and plants/climbers.:)

Also a bit of blood,fish and bonemeal or some fertilizer pellets and you will be flying.

Advertisement