Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering going home for a while

Options
  • 27-01-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

On a 457 for the past 1.5 years. Two different employers. Work FIFO 10:4 roster.

Went home for Christmas, first time home since coming out. Realized just how much I missed home and I'm now considering dropping my sponsorship and going home for a while. I've done nothing but work my ass off since I got to Australia and I've saved a nice amount of money.

My girlfriend is talking about coming out to Australia in May, which is too far away for me to not be seeing her. My plan would be to come back out on a WHV with her and travel a bit whilst doing a little bit of work here and there.

I'm eligible for PR and also my employer will understand if I want to go home, so as long as I don't do it the wrong way potentially he'd consider rehiring me in the future.. However I don't particularly enjoy my job anyway.

What are people's opinions here on the above? Am I mad to drop sponsorship? Is this the right time to take it easy and spend a bit of time at home?? By the way im also only 24.

Thanks!..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

It's a tough one for anyone to answer mate. I can imagine working FIFO gets pretty ordinary after 18 months alright and, money aside, at 24 you also want to be enjoying something of life.

Is there any chance you could get working in a related role but in one of head offices in a major city? If your girlfriend could come out and live with you in a city, and you can still earn good money, you could have a very nice lifestyle.

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of walking away if you are really unhappy. If you are good at what you do and have local experience then I'd imagine you won't struggle to find work again, either with same employer or another. Both myself and partner walked away from well-paying, secure jobs in Ireland to travel for year and eventually settle in Oz, was scary at time but have absolutely zero regrets today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Thanks for that Jackbhoy..

I've tried to find work in the cities but having mining experience seems to have the opposite effect... As in I can't seem to find work in the city with sponsorship due to my mining experience...

Was sort of thinking a WHV might allow me to build up rapport in the cities as they won't need to hire me with sponsorship.. So might manage to find a small but of work that way..

I have the option of PR application in the future aswell..

Majority of people I work with are either single or divorced and I don't want to end up like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Which PR visa are you eligible for?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have that in your pocket and you could go home for two years and still have that to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

V tough one. Any chance you can go home for another holiday, it might get your head sorted?? Its hard when you're missing everyone and your girlfriend is at home.

Or how about moving to a city and doing something different if you can't get work in your area?

lg123 wrote: »
    Which PR visa are you eligible for?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have that in your pocket and you could go home for two years and still have that to fall back on.

State sponsored.

Yeh I thought that but my girlfriend will be coming out here... And I'd like to spend time chilling with her. And then considering what I want to do after that. Having the option of PR I think might make it easier quitting my sponsorship.

I've tried looking for jobs in the cities and it's just not happening. They're not interested in sponsoring.

I know it might seem like my decision is made but im still weighing up thoughts on it.

• Advertisement

Which whv, first or second?

If your sure you tick all the boxes for state sponsorship then your not in a bad position really.

Which whv, first or second?

If your sure you tick all the boxes for state sponsorship then your not in a bad position really.

Would be my first WHV and hers. I spoke to a migration agent and had a look at the skills assessment. I'm eligible for it from what he and I've seen.

na, your not mad thinking about throwing the sponsorship it away. you have a few back-up plans there so not in a bad position.

guess you just need to weigh-up how much you miss home and if its worth the risk.

dont know much about the fifo out lifestyle but i have heard its tough, maybe that could be adding to your loneliness, plus having the gf at home.

na, your not mad thinking about throwing the sponsorship it away. you have a few back-up plans there so not in a bad position.

guess you just need to weigh-up how much you miss home and if its worth the risk.

dont know much about the fifo out lifestyle but i have heard its tough, maybe that could be adding to your loneliness, plus having the gf at home.

Yeh you see I've also looked at the future with her coming out here. 10:4 roster is not one that would keep her happy plus she'd want to travel a bit...

FIFO roster is definitely something for a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

+1

The amount of people I meet back over here in Cork or Kerry who left after 1 year with out doing their bush work or got offered a 457 or so on and did nothing with it but now wish they were back over there is incredible to be honest and can't go back legally, if only they had a back up plan from the word go.
    Your only 24 and your probably in a better position than most 42 year olds, do what ever makes you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Do what makes you happy but look after your visa first, then you will have the choice. Maybe suck it up for a little while until,your Gf comes out, then with the money you saved u can chill or travel with her for a good few months. May is not that far away, time flies.

Cheers guys majority of people I've talked to have a similar opinion to you all. I think I just need the assurance that people don't think I'm nuts for giving up sponsorship...

I've not particularly enjoyed my time over here that much as I've worked/saved the whole time. However I think Australia is a great country and I would love it if I didn't have to FIFO constantly and my girlfriend was here.

Jank, what you're saying makes complete sense, I guess the other point I forgot to make is that my sister in law is due mid March. I'm not sure if thats something I want to miss. If this wasn't the case then maybe I might do what you're thinking.

I've just had a terrible weekend which is something which makes me really want to go home, but I'll give it another couple of weeks before deciding what I'll do allowing as much time as possible.

Thanks alot everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Look at it from a different angle, why wouldn't you go home?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Look at it from a different angle, why wouldn't you go home?

Good point.

The only thing I can think of is a decent paying job. Aside from that there's nothing else.

And that definitely doesn't outweigh what's at home for me.

Hey, Just for anyone who replied to me offering advice I thought it would be polite to give an update.

I was on the receiving end of something which I do not wish to discuss, due to potentially tarnishing any legalities. This has left me unable to work since a few days after writing the first post. I've received word from my Doctor yesterday that I should be unable to continue employment until April 1st and thus have a cert for it. I cannot drink alcohol for the next 5 months or so due to what happened.

So in these circumstances I've taken the opportunity to fly home for a few weeks. I leave Thursday evening. I am in what looks like a promising discussion with a company regarding a Brisbane based job with some travel involved earning very similar money to what I'm on now (Monday to Friday job with some time away in QLD/Nationally). I'll be having an interview when I return in a few weeks and hopefully have recovered. The role and roster seems ideal for both myself and my girlfriend.

This is in no way ideal what happened to me but I have the opportunity to go home (Luckily doctors are allowing me to fly I wasnt sure if they would it was that serious). I may come back out moving into a new job soon after so potentially things may be looking up with me continuing Sponsorship with a new company.

Opinions from fellow boardies as always has been appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Your health is your wealth, look after yourself and everything else will follow.

irishmover wrote: »
    Hey, Just for anyone who replied to me offering advice I thought it would be polite to give an update.

I was on the receiving end of something which I do not wish to discuss, due to potentially tarnishing any legalities. This has left me unable to work since a few days after writing the first post. I've received word from my Doctor yesterday that I should be unable to continue employment until April 1st and thus have a cert for it. I cannot drink alcohol for the next 5 months or so due to what happened.

So in these circumstances I've taken the opportunity to fly home for a few weeks. I leave Thursday evening. I am in what looks like a promising discussion with a company regarding a Brisbane based job with some travel involved earning very similar money to what I'm on now (Monday to Friday job with some time away in QLD/Nationally). I'll be having an interview when I return in a few weeks and hopefully have recovered. The role and roster seems ideal for both myself and my girlfriend.

This is in no way ideal what happened to me but I have the opportunity to go home (Luckily doctors are allowing me to fly I wasnt sure if they would it was that serious). I may come back out moving into a new job soon after so potentially things may be looking up with me continuing Sponsorship with a new company.

Opinions from fellow boardies as always has been appreciated.

Hope it all works out and, more importantly, you recover 100%!

Funnily enough I got a call 45 mins after posting that post on here from a guy from the Brisbane Office of that company. They want to have an informal lunch with me tomorrow regarding the role etc.

Thank Christ for that to be honest.. I did not want to go home for a few weeks stressing about possibly losing out on this job due to not being here. Atleast with this out of the way I can relax at home and hopefully it'll lead to positive things before I get back..

Gonna wear suit trousers and a Shirt, no tie or blazer. Guess that should be good enough for an informal lunch interview?

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Suit trousers and shirt will be fine. Best of luck with the interview. Sounds like you have been through the mill lately, enjoy the comfort of home!

Lunch went pretty much perfectly. They just wanted someone to have a discussion with me about the role and to see if I was suited before I went home to Ireland. Will have a formal interview when I get back out with the guy I'd be working with and the Manager of the QLD division.

But I could tell by his body language and what he was saying that he was highly impressed by both my attitude and CV. I was also open and honest about my injuries and why I was going home which I think impressed him too.

As I said things are finally started to look up for a change, such a relief.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good stuff, glad things are working out for you.

jank wrote: »
    Good stuff, glad things are working out for you.

Cheers man..

Lunch went pretty much perfectly. They just wanted someone to have a discussion with me about the role and to see if I was suited before I went home to Ireland. Will have a formal interview when I get back out with the guy I'd be working with and the Manager of the QLD division.

But I could tell by his body language and what he was saying that he was highly impressed by both my attitude and CV. I was also open and honest about my injuries and why I was going home which I think impressed him too.

As I said things are finally started to look up for a change, such a relief.

Good work. Nice to be able to head home with peace of mind that you should be sorted. Enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Best of luck irishmover, sounds like a few weeks at home is much needed.

As I posted in the other thread I was assaulted back in January. Completely unprovoked and suffered head injuries which would make my medical history look like a rugby players medical history...

Still off work. Find out tomorrow if I can go back. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday if I get the all clear.

In terms of this other company. Still haven't joined them yet. Spoke to a third guy who is the head of the department i'd be working in (i.e. person with final say of who they recruit) and its all still positive. They had given the position internally about 4 weeks ago however they want me to join as apparently I'm by far the most experienced in that field they've had apply for a long time so they don't want to lose me. I find out during the week if they're going to make a position available for me here in Brisbane. Really hoping something comes to fruition as after the assault I really dread going back to the town where it happened (Emerald CQ). I know I shouldn't but I'd like a fresh start.. Going home done me the world of good though. Girlfriend arrives June 1st with her brother so I'm looking forward to that!

As I posted in the other thread I was assaulted back in January. Completely unprovoked and suffered head injuries which would make my medical history look like a rugby players medical history...

Still off work. Find out tomorrow if I can go back. Hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday if I get the all clear.

In terms of this other company. Still haven't joined them yet. Spoke to a third guy who is the head of the department i'd be working in (i.e. person with final say of who they recruit) and its all still positive. They had given the position internally about 4 weeks ago however they want me to join as apparently I'm by far the most experienced in that field they've had apply for a long time so they don't want to lose me. I find out during the week if they're going to make a position available for me here in Brisbane. Really hoping something comes to fruition as after the assault I really dread going back to the town where it happened (Emerald CQ). I know I shouldn't but I'd like a fresh start.. Going home done me the world of good though. Girlfriend arrives June 1st with her brother so I'm looking forward to that!

Jeez, sounds positive now anyway, hope it all works out for you.

I know how you feel. I was hit from behind and then kicked on ground outside a Dublin nightclub myself, never saw it coming or even remember much of it but it left me really unsettled and nervous around town for long time. It's just down to random chance though and happening to walk in front of the wrong cowardly d!ckhead at the wrong time. Hope you get back to full health and confidence asap!!

One more update lads.

Just handed in my notice yesterday. Start a new job in Brisbane Monday week. Doing exactly what I want to do, it may even give me ideas about a business back home in Ireland in a couple years. Big drop in salary but I get incentives and I also get to be home every night and not working every weekend!. First time in almost two years I can say that.. I don't regret FIFO. Any single fella should look at doing it for a while but just don't end up like the endless amount of 50 something's I've come across who are either divorced or single.

Girlfriend arrives June 1st aswell. Took a hit longer but everything is coming together!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

out of interest how much you make doing fifo ?

im in a bit of a weird situation myself made loads of irish/english mates living melbourne the past year im 6 months into sponsorship really love my job however 99% of my mates have left as they were on whv anybody thats left has a bird and i rarely see.

i dont think ive thought of going home as it would be the same back there apart from i wouldnt enjoy my job and wouldnt make half as much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

try to be there 2 years

What is a permanent resident?
    Essentially, it is a right affixed into your passport granting you the permanent right to live and work in the Australia. You are eligible for state medical care immediately, but must be resident in Australia for two year's before qualifying for social welfare assistance (i.e. unemployment benefits). You are not permitted to vote as a permanent resident in Australia. After four years, you can apply for citizenship, entitling you to an Australian passport (see below). Temporary residents (those on student and work visas) are generally not entitled to medical care or social welfare assistance at any time and are generally unable to remain for longer than 4 years.
    How long do I need to live in Australia before I can become a citizen?

All citizenship applicants must meet these residence requirements at the time they apply for Australian citizenship.
    • You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
    • You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/sir.htm

• Advertisement

I won't really say how much I earned but it was in the lower end of the 6 figures. Good money all things considered.

Tough one moving from a job you enjoy though. No harm in applying for some FIFO jobs but it definitely has its lifestyle limitations. All I'm thinking about is how great it's gonna be having my weekends back.

Forgot to mention person was sentenced last week. Waiting for restitution to start but I got what I would have earned and he avoided prison. Happy with the result..

Advertisement