Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oldham Athletic v Liverpool 4.00 ITV1

• 27-01-2013 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its not beyond the "boundary" of ones imagination that there could be a cupset as Liverpool travel the short distance for the 4th round tie against a side struggling at the wrong end of League One (7 lost and 1 drawn in their last 8), Athletic are still in the competition after beating Forest 3-2 albeit with the help of a red card which saw the home side play the last 35 with 10 men. Liverpools recent league form is ruder of health with 5 wins, 3 defeats and a bit of spring in the step since the arrival of Daniel Sturridge.

Probably the main point of interest in attack will be if he starts while at the other end Reina and both the first choice FBs are almost certainly out. One of Skrtel and Agger will certainly be rested - maybe both, while Allen and Shelvey have seen little game time recently so could well be given a start. One presumes the bench will be well stocked just in case.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oldham 2 Liverpool 4 in a riproaring cup tie. Liverpool go 2 up, Oldham get one back before half time. 3-1 quickly becomes 3-2 and Liverpool grab a late 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't want to see the likes of Suarez, Gerrard or Agger anywhere near this fixture. Top 4 should be the focus with Europe the second priority.

Don't want to see the likes of Suarez, Gerrard or Agger anywhere near this fixture. Top 4 should be the focus with Europe the second priority.

I want to see us winning this game. If we lost this by playing kids, and then lost against Arsenal and City in the week afterwards you'd want the cup back then wouldn't you? I can't understand any Liverpool fan not wanting to win the FA Cup. It's not as if we can win many other trophies of higher value right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Who was it in some other match thread talking about backing liverpool on corners?

liverpool -5 is 3/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

5starpool wrote: »
    I want to see us winning this game. If we lost this by playing kids, and then lost against Arsenal and City in the week afterwards you'd want the cup back then wouldn't you? I can't understand any Liverpool fan not wanting to win the FA Cup. It's not as if we can win many other trophies of higher value right now.
    Our cup runs last year were a massive, massive distraction to our league form. Frankly, I don't think we have the squad to compete in three competitions and would prefer the priority to be placed on the Europa League if we are going for any cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Easy Liverpool win.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

retalivity wrote: »
    Who was it in some other match thread talking about backing liverpool on corners?

liverpool -5 is 3/1

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Would love to see ryan mclaughlin get a game here as hes been training with the first team due to johnsons hamstring problem, such a good attacking full back. The fai should be trying to poach him from the nordies if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

klose wrote: »
    Would love to see ryan mclaughlin get a game here as hes been training with the first team due to johnsons hamstring problem, such a good attacking full back. The fai should be trying to poach him from the nordies if possible.

He has been called up to a full senior match against Malta for Northern Ireland next month.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Would someone explain the corners betting market in laymans terms to a complete betting novice please?

• Advertisement

SM01 wrote: »
    Would someone explain the corners betting market in laymans terms to a complete betting novice please?

You bet on how many there'll be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Today is the reason Jose Baxter left Everton(hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is not a betting thread! :mad: (the bet above is a handicap, that is to say the bet is for Liverpool to have at least 5 more corners than Oldham)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

mike65 wrote: »
    This is not a betting thread! :mad: (the bet above is a handicap, that is to say the bet is for Liverpool to have at least 5 more corners than Oldham)

Its not a Utd or Newcastle thread either but people have still talked about those two a lot in the last week! -5 corners at those odds is a great bet, nice find!

Edit: just copped that this is a match thread :o

For what its worth I'd stay away from it - if no Johnson, Enrique or Suarez as looks likely means the Oldham defence won't be turned as often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This lot can't be any worse than the last bunch we played. It will not be easy unless we fly out of the traps and get 2-3 goals in the first 30 minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i'd rest players for arsenal

jones

wisdom carra coates robinson

allen henderson

shelvey

suso borini sterlinh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

As much as i like the idea of resting players, a big win to keep morale up would be better. Arsenal had a full strength team out yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

mav79 wrote: »
    As much as i like the idea of resting players, a big win to keep morale up would be better. Arsenal had a full strength team out yesterday.

are you sure?

I thought they rested cazorla, wilshere and walcott and they have an extra recovery day, we really need to win that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

My mistake, Wilshire and Walcott came one for the last 25 mins. Cazorla was rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I say bring out the big guns and then when we are winning comfortable at half time, take them off :P

Will Borini start I wonder?

Looking at Brentford's pitch, I hope Oldham's is better or else we'll get bogged down again like last time out. I remember the pitch at Boundary Park around the early 90's after they got rid of the artificial pitch. It was the only pitch I remember that had no grass at all on it, although I seem to remember Stamford Bridge not being much better around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

5starpool wrote: »
    Looking at Brentford's pitch, I hope Oldham's is better or else we'll get bogged down again like last time out. I remember the pitch at Boundary Park around the early 90's after they got rid of the artificial pitch. It was the only pitch I remember that had no grass at all on it, although I seem to remember Stamford Bridge not being much better around the same time.

Apparently this is their pitch:

BBnr70uCcAAu6ca.jpg

Looks decent

If that's recent, there are no excuses for a poor display.

Edit: Another picture. Pitch looks good.

x2_10ac389f

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm going 3 1 liverpool

Sturridge, sterling and hendo

Full 360 view of the stadium.

http://360.io/HL9qbt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Still no team news yet?

Still no team news yet?

Surprisingly no, kind of odd.

klose wrote: »
    Surprisingly no, kind of odd.

The game isn't until 4pm, so team news won't be out until 3-3.15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

This is a rumored team LFC team vs Oldham: Jones - Wisdom, Skrtel, Carragher, Robinson - Lucas, Allen, Suso - Sterling, Borini, Downing

If true, looks like Suso would be taking up midfield role, hopefully furthest advanced of the 3. Would love him to do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I'd like to see Sturridge get a start, would be a good opportunity to continue his scoring form and keep building his confidence

As an aside, I'm looking forward to seeing Jose Baxter play today, I remember hearing so much about him

Suarez Captain! Attacking team.

Confirmed #LFC team v Oldham: Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Skrtel, Robinson, Allen, Henderson, Sterling, Borini, Sturridge, Suarez.

Itll be so awesome to see suarez captain the team!

something like? with the front 4 all mobile?

Jones,
    Wisdom, Coates, Skrtel, Robinson,
    Allen, Henderson,
    Suarez.
    --Sterling---Sturridge---Borini

subs: Gulacsi, Carragher, Shelvey, Lucas, Downing, Gerrard, Suso.

• Advertisement

All out attack!

Jumpers for goalposts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

An interesting team. Surprised Carra isn't involved and that all three forwards are starting. Would have preferred Suarez to be left out but it's going to be fun seeing him as captain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

4-2-4 could be a fun afternoon for fans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

An interesting team. Surprised Carra isn't involved and that all three forwards are starting. Would have preferred Suarez to be left out but it's going to be fun seeing him as captain!

I've a feeling Carra will start against either Arsenal or City.

Or both.

djPSB wrote: »

Or both.

Walcott/Aguero vs Carra. Gulp.

Although, in fairness, he has done well this season when played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

While I'm excited to see that team I really wish he hadn't started Suarez.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That looks like 4-4-2 to me. Or 4-2-4 :p Sterling and Suarez the widest of the front 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Anyone think it will be 4-2-3-1 with this up top?:

Sterling - Suarez - Borini
    Sturridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Anyone think it will be 4-2-3-1 with this up top?:

Sterling - Suarez - Borini
    Sturridge

I'd day your right but I really want to see 4-2-4 :D

Only 4 players older than 22 in the starting lineup.

Sturridge 23
    Suarez 26
    Skrtel 28
    Jones 30.

Very young team indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

djPSB wrote: »

Or both.

Said the same in the main thread.

Oldham must have been shocked seeing that lineup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

opr wrote: »
    While I'm excited to see that team I really wish he hadn't started Suarez.

Opr

I suppose the idea is to try put this one to bed early on and make subs. Im more worried about lack of Carragher, im guessing he is pencilled in for game time against Arsenal or City.....*shivers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is the modern day football fan scared of highly fit players playing games.

Suarez will handle this and Wednesday's game no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Not sure if I'm watching the lead up to the game, or the ad for a new Danny Dyer film ;)

Could utv not afford a window cleaner na?

• Advertisement
Advertisement