Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which would you say is the better choice ?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Serious Illness Cover or Health Insurance ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Two completely different products, serious illness will give you a lump sum if you contract one of the listed illnesses, but health insurance may allow you to receive faster treatment so you might avoid said illness! Bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Maybe maintaining a health insurance policy and also a small serious illness policy would allow you to have some element of security in both situations, finances allowing of course.

Personally i would probably go for a income protection policy, which will allow you receive a % of your income should you fall sick and not be able to work, and its not limited to a narrow list of illnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

faolteam wrote: »
    Serious Illness Cover or Health Insurance ???

Apples and oranges.
    A lot depends on your age too. If you're older serious illness cover can be very expensive whereas health insurance would represent better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

tony81 wrote: »
    Apples and oranges.
    A lot depends on your age too. If you're older serious illness cover can be very expensive whereas health insurance would represent better value.

50 years of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

faolteam wrote: »

50 years of age

Perfect age to consider a private health insurance policy in My opinion.

However, specified illness cover is advisable if you have no considerable savings and a mortgage or family.

two completely different products and without more knowledge of your circumstances it would be impossible to advice, not to mention I'm not a financial adviser!

Other considerations include a safety net (savings), investments, pensions, income protection.. And of course living in the moment.

You should arrange an independent financial review with a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

tony81 wrote: »
    Perfect age to consider a private health insurance policy in My opinion.

However, specified illness cover is advisable if you have no considerable savings and a mortgage or family.

two completely different products and without more knowledge of your circumstances it would be impossible to advice, not to mention I'm not a financial adviser!

Other considerations include a safety net (savings), investments, pensions, income protection.. And of course living in the moment.

You should arrange an independent financial review with a broker.

im single
    no mortgage , no kids , no wifes, two pensions ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement