Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in England/Scotland

• 27-01-2013 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

So, I have been thinking the past few years of trying to get into teaching - I have my arts degree, and I had been looking at doing the Hibernia course - but more and more I've become aware of people talking about teaching in Scotland, its shorter course times and greater availability of work - and I have heard myself of the lack of teachers there, particularly in the north. Does anyone have any experience or opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Hey both my cousins did primary teaching training in scotland. One of them is working there at the minute as part of the nqt year. He finds it hard because hes living out the middle of nowhere but he really liked the course and if you want to pm me your email I could send it onto him...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

Post primary school teacher in UK, did my PGCE there too. Courses are really good, however the works extremely tough- I work 70h a week, this is the done thing in state schools- its a great job but a lot of pressure! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Baldlydrawnboy

Teach in Scotland, not England - teaching in England has horrendous burn out rates and is not a pleasant job (60-70 hours a week MINIMUM) for the salary, whereas in Scotland you'll more than likely be in the middle of nowhere for your early few years but have nicer kids, more disposable income (generally cheaper/better accommodation), work with a better Highers curriculum which is also closer to the Leaving Cert (assuming secondary?)and be less at the whimsy of constantly-moving curricular goalposts - every time there's a new govt they tinker with the English curriculum which makes it a not very nice scenario to work in. Just my own 2C, I taught in london for a couple of years and it's seriously hard graft - friends who work in Scotland love their jobs and really get a lot out of it. I think it can be both the best and worst job the world depending on school environment - best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

duffyp wrote: »
    Post primary school teacher in UK, did my PGCE there too. Courses are really good, however the works extremely tough- I work 70h a week, this is the done thing in state schools- its a great job but a lot of pressure! Good luck.

Is it really 70 hours a week in England? That is atrocious. Is this a factor in you wanting to leave the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

Hi Chipper,
    Yeah it is tough work as we are expected to teach 'outstanding' lessons for every lesson, so a lot of preparation and cpd sessions are needed every week- also mentor trainee teachers which is time consuming too.

Its true the work-life balance isn't great however the long hours aren't the main reason I'm moving home- I need to be closer to home for family reasons.

I'd recommend it to someone learning to teach, the PGCE courses are really good and the experience of working in the state system makes you a better teacher (and gives you hair on your chest;) )
    Trish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd agree with the above.

I did the PGCE in the UK, taught some A level material, got a huge amount if experience out if it.

Made getting a job at home easier for me as u had so much experience built up.

That was sept 2007.
    It's much harder to get work here now though.

Advertisement