Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can he cut my hours?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job at a restaurant this month and was told I would get approx 18 hours/wk. after my first few days i was told i may get more hours as one of the waiters was moving to the U.K.

I've been doing around 25 hours for the last 2 weeks but then my supervisor told me I would have to be cut back because I wasnt as strong as the other waiters and there werent enough shifts to go around for all of us. One guy started after me but is much stronger so he's getting more hours.

can they just do that? there's no contract, probationary period, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure he can. There's very little to cover you during your first 12 months in a job. You should ask about a contract though. You're entitled to one. I've only had one job where I didn't have one and I walked after 6 months. If they're not willing to give a contract be very wary of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I've been doing around 25 hours for the last 2 weeks but then my supervisor told me I would have to be cut back because I wasnt as strong as the other waiters and there werent enough shifts to go around for all of us. One guy started after me but is much stronger so he's getting more hours.

Kudos to your manager. He's doing his job. Too often managers allow strong staff to carry weak staff, and operate last-in, first-out.

On the bright side, with experience you will improve at your job and you can count on the manager to recognise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's in the employers interests to give you a contract within two months of joining - it's your right and his obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you thought about talking to your manager about how you might work on your weaknesses? This might get better results, and you might end up as one of the 'stronger' staff. If I was your manager, this would impress me more than a 'you can't do that' attitude. Sounds like they're trying to run a good operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

welcome to the real world, ireland 2013, expect nothing and you wont be disappointed

• Advertisement
Advertisement