Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd thing I noticed in Hong Kong

Options
  • 27-01-2013 10:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just back from Hong Kong, and spotted something odd in a couple of restaurants. I couldn't figure it out.

In 2 of the restos we went to (locals-type places), there were people at other tables with these covers over the back of their chairs. The covers had an add for Union Pay on them, but I don't think that was the purpose. Not everyone had these covers, and it wasn't gender-specific either.

Could someone enlighten me? Were they simply to protect jackets from spills, or was there some other significance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zjmajm

those are only chairs covers(for cleaning). My guess is they got them for free from Union pay as sign in a cash terminal, but not enough to cover all the chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I've seen them used in places here to protect jackets from spills, as you say. I haven't seen ads on them before, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest: every other surface seems to have Andy Lau or Eric Tsang grinning in happy endorsement of some product or service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 apintpls

protection from pickpocketing. The cover is widely used in restaurants in mainland China.

Advertisement