Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which one to clear first

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me would it be better to use my overdraft to clear my credit card. ? both are 2 thousand euro. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

dollyk wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me would it be better to use my overdraft to clear my credit card. ? both are 2 thousand euro. thanks

Which one are you paying more interest on? Always clear the one with the highest interest first

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Im not sure how much on overdraft, but credit card is 28.00 euro a month interest. so maybe thats the one to clear...thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Im not sure how much on overdraft, but credit card is 28.00 euro a month interest. so maybe thats the one to clear...thanks for reply.

Most all Credit Card rates are way higher then overdraft rates, assuming it is an authorised over draft.

So the general rules would be to clear the highest rates first, but if one of them is over the limit, you might clear that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

You're best bet would be to ring the bank and find out what the interest rate is, the percentage being the important part.

Also there are credit cards that offer you a number of months interest free.
    So if you were to switch to one of those credit cards, you can move the balance there and pay no interest on the balance. It would give you a bit of breeding space to clear the overdraft and the credit card.
    http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-credit-cards/your-results/

Advertisement