Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i bother...

• 27-01-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Neighbour of ours got a beautiful chocolate lab a while ago....all was good at the start, but now it spends most of its days roaming the estate...Today while i was driving on the main road outside our estate there was the dog walking down the path all alone...i know that he's not road wise...Theyre not the type of family that you could approach about this .....is there any point in ringing the dog warden...???....bray area...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's a difficult one alright. I had the same issue with some dogs in our area, Clare. A lovely black lab that had already been hit by a car a few years before was being let roam. I called the dog warden, who did come out. The dog is stilling roaming the streets, maybe the dog wasn't around when the dog warden came out, I really don't know.

The problem is that you have to weigh up whats best for the dog. Having the dog warden call to the house may or may not stop the people letting the dog roam on the other hand it might not and the dog could end up being pts if nobody else adopts it from the pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I know, he's such a pet he'd go off with anyone...or into the back of a van if ykwim.....;)
    I'd hate to see him get hurt or cause an accident...any point in ringing the guards and telling them theres a vicious dog about....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd phone the warden, rather that than spot him dead on the side of the road some evening after getting hit by a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

make up you saw someone trying to take him but you called the dog (if u know its name) & the man went off, (thinking u owned him) didnt know who he was & never saw him before...& just say "ld wanted ye to know just in case it happens again, would hate it see him robbed" maybe that way they might keep him in their garden! thats what l would do anyway....if the dog is left roaming around much longer he will more than likey get stolen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd agree with stop animal cruelty. There's a huge problem nationwide with dogs being stolen to order and to be used as bait to blood fighting dogs. It might give them a scare if you said you saw someone trying to steal the dog. That way you've given them a chance. After that if they continue to let the dog roam I'd call the dog warden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

any point in ringing the guards and telling them theres a vicious dog about....:o

That would mean the wardens would come get the dog, with a report that he's vicious. less likely would be that the guards would come get him, but they'd still hand him over to the pound.
    Dogs reported as aggressive don't get a chance in the pound OP!
    So no, don;t take this option.
    Just ring the warden, tell him the story, and get him/her to deal with the owners. It goes without saying that you remain anonymous as a matter of course, but no harm reiterating this to the wardens when you call them.
    The wardens don't want to take dogs off the streets unless they have to, so if they know who owns him, they should go and talk to the owners, issue a warning and possibly a fixed penalty notice. This may be enough to make the owners cop on and keep him in, or surrender him to give him a chance at a better life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Well what ever happened to the dog? Still around?

Advertisement