Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning off Naas Road onto Long Mile Road???

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some help with driving in Dublin.

When driving into Dublin on the Naas Road, Google Maps tells me to turn onto Walkinstown Avenue to get onto the Long Mile Road.

Is it possible to turn onto the Long Mile Road directly from the Naas Road - back near Woodies?

Or is Walkinstown Avenue the best route - easiest turn?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You can get onto the long mile road from that junction at woodies . Move to the left as you approach the junction and you'll see a lane marked Long Mile Road. It's a strange junction if you're not familiar with it, the long mile lane goes in an arc across the Naas road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

On Naas road, heading into town, stay in the left lane.

At Woodies you end up on what I'd describe as a "virtual roundabout". In the left lane it'll push you slightly left and then curve around to the right, crossing the Naas Road and joining the LMR.

Stay left, stay slow enough to be able to read the signs, you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I hate that turn and try to avoid it at all costs! The lanes are so unclear due to the Luas tracks. If I want to get to Walkinstown, I usually go straight at Woodies as if heading into town and then take the right at the McDonalds Kylemore junction. The next left will take you on to the Long Mile Road. Much safer to get to Walkinstown from here if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

It is a confusing junction. Once you pass Red Cow Hotel get in the proper lane for Long Mile Rd and Crumlin. You really have to be sharp especially if there is a steady flow of traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Many near misses and lane hopping occur on that junction due to the confusing nature of the lanes and it being a "virtual roundabout".

Expect premature bus lane hoppers to cut up on the inside and undertake you at high speed.

Expect people in the outer ( Naas rd) lane to suddenly realise they are in the wrong lane and want to cut in front of you causing you to have to brake hard and risk getting hit from behind.

DO NOT enter the luas tracks which are painted with box junction markings unless your way out of the box is clear.....the lights might change suddenly and the trams cannot stop as quickly as other road vehicles. Several accidents like this have occurred here and at Heuston Station Luas stop by cars getting stuck on a red light in a traffic junction box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I consider it a more European style of junction that filters the turning traffic away fromdirectly turning oncoming traffic,but insteads treats it like a T-Junction.

I had heard of accidents there when it was first introduced of cars turning right immediately and close-shaves or contact with oncoming traffic. One witness at the time later considered that it may accident may have been caused by the driver following the direction of the Sat-Nav without taking care of the conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I hate that turn and try to avoid it at all costs! The lanes are so unclear due to the Luas tracks. If I want to get to Walkinstown, I usually go straight at Woodies as if heading into town and then take the right at the McDonalds Kylemore junction. The next left will take you on to the Long Mile Road. Much safer to get to Walkinstown from here if you ask me.

I agree with this.

At times as I walk from the Red Cow towards that junction people ask for directions that involve doing a u-turn at that junction. I always wish them the best of luck...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a confusing junction for people that are new to it. But do what AltAccount says and you'll be grand.
    AltAccount wrote: »
    On Naas road, heading into town, stay in the left lane.

At Woodies you end up on what I'd describe as a "virtual roundabout". In the left lane it'll push you slightly left and then curve around to the right, crossing the Naas Road and joining the LMR.

Stay left, stay slow enough to be able to read the signs, you'll be grand.
    You go through it like this: http://goo.gl/maps/WuDja
    So when you go to the left lane at woodies you'll see this: http://goo.gl/maps/wNMft
    Go the whole way around in the left lane, go slow enough and make sure you stay in lane and don't drift. The amount of people that stray from their lanes going around that junction is unbelievable! The junction is grand if you take your time, look at signs in advance and stay in your lane. Also a lot of people that jump the lights coming from nangor road because they're looking at the wrong lights, but that's another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

This.

The turn is poxy if you don't know it and irritating even if you do.

Just to add that taking the left takes you on to the Long Mile (handier for Crumlin) as above but just going through the junction takes you to Walkinstown roundabout which is handier for Walkinnstown.

Advertisement