Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to college finance questions

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going back to college and was reading about the grants etc on here and just want to confirm some things. Id be hoping to get the btea allowance and have my fees paid.
    I was in college in the early 2000s and failed in 3rd year and didnt repeat or anything as I had enough of that course. I received a national certificate from the course though. Its been more than 5 years and now I'm thinking ofgoing back to do a completely different course. Would I be eligible for the grant or have my fees paid if I was still on the Dole?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If you have a qualification from your last course you may not be eligible for free fees for the equivalent period on the new course. E.G if you have already received a qualification after 2 years in college you may not get free fees etc, until the third year of your new course. SUSI or the college can tell you.

The 5 year 2nd chance rule only applies if you didn't get any qualification from your original course.

You might get BTEA from the first year of your new course if you can make a good case to DSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Thanks for the reply. I might have to knock the idea on the head then, there's no way I would be able to do it with zero financial support. I would be better off without that useless cert.

bush wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I might have to knock the idea on the head then, there's no way I would be able to do it with zero financial support. I would be better off without that useless cert.

Don't leave it without checking with the college or SUSI first. There may be options for you. So do check. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Don't leave it without checking with the college or SUSI first. There may be options for you. So do check. :)

I just had a check on the college website and it says the registration fees are covered by Failte Ireland for the course I want to do. I wonder would I be eligible for that grant or do you have any knowledge on those grants? There is a mature student evening coming up in the college soon so ill probably head to that anyway and see what the story is.

Another quick question. Does the cao late deadline apply to mature students too or do they have to apply early?

bush wrote: »
    I just had a check on the college website and it says the registration fees are covered by Failte Ireland for the course I want to do. I wonder would I be eligible for that grant or do you have any knowledge on those grants? There is a mature student evening coming up in the college soon so ill probably head to that anyway and see what the story is.

Another quick question. Does the cao late deadline apply to mature students too or do they have to apply early?

There used to be good funding support with the old CERT/ Failte Ireland courses but as far as i know they now come under the existing grant rules. But i'm not 100% on that.

Re the late application for matures students, not making you a short answer, but it does come down to the course. Some courses do allow late application and others like nursing don't. It best to check with the college. I would think the hospitality related courses in Athlone would allow late application but just make sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement