Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad curriculum subject for Secondary School teaching.

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have an undergrad degree in communications from DCU and I have decided that I would like to become a secondary school teacher and teach English and Religion or History.

The problem is that I do not have a degree in any curriculum subject therfore I know I cannot apply for a H. Dip.

I have teaching experience already and shouldn't have much trouble getting into a H Dip course with that experience.

My question is does anybody know of a postgraduate degree that would include 2 curriculum subjects and would be a stepping stone on the way to a H. Dip?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

Hi

Have you checked with the Teaching Council? They are the ones who decide what subjects and degrees are valid for people to go on to do the professional diploma in education so they should in theory know if there is a course out there that would suit you to upskill enough to get into the PDE.
    (I work in a Uni and not aware of any but there must be loads of people who are in same position so surely there is a course out there somewhere...)
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

You'd need to check with the TC but it's very difficult to get a Masters recognised as a teaching subject. I'm studying to be a secondary teacher and they only cared about seeing my degree transcripts, asked nothing of my Masters at all and nor did my placement school. The degree is pretty much a fundamental part of getting accepted, and you might want to reconsider the subjects too: English, History and Religion are tremendously oversubscribed and difficult enough to get a job in, let alone if you don't actually have a relevant degree in the first place. The teaching experience won't help you in the PDE either, as they don't require it. Sorry to be the bearer of not-great news :(

Advertisement