Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest low-use provider

Options
  • 27-01-2013 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to move off of Meteor because they keep spamming marketing texts (without any opt-out), and I wonder what a good provider would be for minimizing the costs of using my phone?

I barely use it at all except for sending the odd text, and the main reason I ever top-up is to avoid getting cut off after 6 months (so that's about €20 every 6 months).

Ideally, I would like a provider that doesn't have such a 6-month cutoff (so I never have to top up until I actually need to), and which also offers web-texts; what's the best I can do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

o2 are the best for this. You dont need to topup every 6 months, but just make one chargeable transaction every 6 months to keep the account active.

So one topup could last you a few years. A call or a text at least every 6 months and you will have no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Nice, thanks :) that sounds good.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I second that. You can also buy a bundle of 250 texts for €5 of your credit which works out at only 2c a text. The bundle lasts for 6 months before expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Reopening a zombie thread I know here, but is this still the case with o2? Both my folks barely use their phones and are sick of Vodafone robbing their credit and disactiving their sim cards!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

O2 and Three never expire your paid-for credit, as long as you make at least one chargeable use of your mobile every six months. As far as I'm aware, all the others require you to top-up every so often. Every five months for Meteor and every six months for Vodafone.

But a fiver top-up every five or six months is very, very little.

All the networks' basic out-of-bundle rates are a killer though. A very low usage customer might be best off on Post Fone. I think their minimum use requirement is also one chargeable event per six months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement