Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling any Gaeilge speaking Business teachers - need help

• 27-01-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need help translating some accountancy terms into Gaeilge. I found some on 'focal.ie' but not others. Can anyone advise please?

Fixed assets - Sócmhainní sheasta
    Current assets - Sócmhainní reatha
    Net book value - Glanluach leabhar
    Cost - Costas
    Current Liabilities - Fiachais reatha/ dliteanais reatha
    Total net assets - Glansócmhainní
    Working capital - Oibre caipiteal
    Financed by - ?
    Long term liabilities - ?
    Capital employed - Caipiteal in úsáid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I need help translating some accountancy terms into Gaeilge. I found some on 'focal.ie' but not others. Can anyone advise please?

Fixed assets - Sócmhainní sheasta
    Current assets - Sócmhainní reatha
    Net book value - Glanluach leabhar
    Cost - Costas
    Current Liabilities - Fiachais reatha/ dliteanais reatha
    Total net assets - Glansócmhainní
    Working capital - Oibre caipiteal
    Financed by - ?
    Long term liabilities - ?
    Capital employed - Caipiteal in úsáid
    Not a business teacher but since to finance is 'maoinigh' according to focal.ie and financed seems to be 'maoinithe', I would guess 'financed by' is 'maoinithe ag' or 'á maoiniú ag'.
    And long term liability is on focal.ie.

Edit - try putting in the important term rather than the whole phrase. Put in 'finance' and after the translation of the word, it gives you a list of extensions and variations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not an Irish or business teacher but Oibre caipiteal looks and sounds very strange to me.

I think it may be more correct to say caipeatal 'irish phrase for available or useful'.

It's 30 years since I left school, so I'm well past being able to translate them, but many of the phrases seem to me to be what my old Irish teacher used to call 'héileacaptar Irish' i.e. makey uppy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Didn't spot that but Spurious is right, 'oibre caipiteal' definitely wouldn't be the usual way something like that is phrased. 'Caipiteal oibre' is probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe go on to examinations.ie have a scan through the english versions of the papers and when you find the phrases you want go to the equaivalent Irish versions. At least then the phrases will be correct and will be the ones presented to students when they are doing their exams eventually instead of using makey-uppy phrases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

That should be "Caipiteal Oibre", not "Oibre Caipiteal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

"Financed by" might be translated as "maoinithe ag...".

Well, that's based on the verb Maoinigh being the the verb "to finance/endow/fund", but that's just my take on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Try focal.ie

http://www.focal.ie/Home.aspx

they're all there and lots more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Maybe go on to examinations.ie have a scan through the english versions of the papers and when you find the phrases you want go to the equaivalent Irish versions. At least then the phrases will be correct and will be the ones presented to students when they are doing their exams eventually instead of using makey-uppy phrases.
    +1.

Or, you can search for the phrase you want within the examinations.ie website by following this format in google:
    "working capital" site:.examinations.ie

This, for example, tells you striaght away that the 2011 LC Ordinary Level Business exam had this question: "Calculate the Working Capital Ratio for 2010 and 2009", and if you switch to the Irish version of that paper you'll see:
    "Ríomh Cóimheas an Chaipitil Oibre do na blianta 2010 agus 2009."
    (In this case, not only to you find out that "Caipiteal oibre" is correct, but you get the Tuiseal Ginideach for good measure!)

Advertisement