Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent Debit Card Transactions

Options
  • 27-01-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I have had three fraudulent debits on my card this weekend. I have been on to my bank and cancelled the card but fraud department doesn't open at weekend so have to wait until tomorrow to begin claim process. Just wondering does anyone know how quickly these are resolved and if the banks prosecute the offenders. I've been told I should get the money back so that's not really the issue for me although I wonder how long it takes and if card has been cancelled how this is applied.

Main thing is that I don't want the f*cker getting away with ripping me off. Have already been on to one of the companies who were involved in two of the transactions and they agree it looks fraudulent. Can only find an online query form for the other company so have to wait for them to get back to me. I just don't want this guy getting his order delivered.

In cases like this where the customer is refunded who is the one who ends up out of pocket? The bank or the retailer? Would like for none of us to be ripped off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In most cases, the individual won't be prosecuted. Of course, that's not always the case, but simply there isn't enough time in the world to chase up all these cases, even if the individual could caught.

Generally the refund process isn't overly long, but that'll vary from bank to bank. Your card may be cancelled, but the account is comes from isn't: the funds will land back there (no one individual card is tied to one account) and can be accessed with your new card etc.

Generally, the bank ends up out of pocket, though they could try and contest it with the retailers involved. As for being ripped off..well, such losses are factored in to the pricing of things - be it from the items bought to the charges you may or may not pay your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks Buffy, you've covered my queries...much appreciated. I'm just in a vindictive mood and don;t want anyone losing out or the tealeaf benefitting. Especially as one of the transactions appears to be for sportswear. Almost double what I'd paid for a pair of runners the other day - would never pay as much as he/she did for a pair of runners. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Collie D wrote: »
    Almost double what I'd paid for a pair of runners the other day - would never pay as much as he/she did for a pair of runners. :pac:
    They didn't pay a penny - you did (so far)! These people aren't concerned about prices - just the ease at which they can fraudulently order & receive goods.

I used to work in a retail store who once shipped out a laptop which has been bought with a stolen card. In their case, the credit card company issued a chargeback and the store were the ones out of pocket.

Advertisement