Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions neeed on Hyde Court, Townsend St

Options
  • 27-01-2013 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm probably going to go view an apartment in Hyde Court(corner of Moss Street and Townsend St) tomorrow evening. Does anyone have any knowledge on the area, in terms of safety?

I work less than 5 minutes away in the north east corner of Trinity College, and myself and some friends used to go to the Centra in the building for lunch a few years back. Never had any overt trouble at that time of day, but it is right next to some council flats that is apparently one of the most disadvantaged areas in the entire country(according to that Pobal map). The surrounding area just seems very run down. The presence of the methadone clinic on Pearse St worries me too- it seems any route from Countess Markievicz House,Pearse House or any of these areas in the south inner city would involve junkies walking past Hyde Court(so possibly lingering, making a nuisance of themselves and so on). Also, what is the area like at night?

Having said all that, the apartment is on the top floor and faces inwards to the courtyard, so I'd be fairly isolated, but I don't want to feel trapped in my own home.

Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Bump.

Ended up not bothering to go view the place- couldn't put my concerns about the area to bed.

Search continues I guess, been looking since last May and this was only the third place I've seen I considered viewing(first place went to and wanted to take it, but there were so many applicants the landlord chose at random;second place was rented before my viewing).

Would still appreciate opinions though if you've got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I lived down the road and never had any problems. I would've wandered/stumbled home quite often around 4 in the morning right past those flats. If the apartment is nice, then you've got it made.

That's reassuring anyway. I talk a short walk around the block on Friday evening and it seemed ok, lots of pedestrian traffic around so felt safe enough.

Anyone have any other opinions I might have missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Honestly, it's probably one of the best areas in Dublin to live in. Id move back into the area tomorrow if I could. THe methadone clinic services the north side of the city so you wouldn't have junkies passing that way necessarily. Also, it's closes at 5pm so nighttime is not a issue with the junkies. The amenities in that area are spot on with transport routes, gyms, shopping, restaurants, bars and clubs a walk away. I sound like an advertisement I know. As for the locals, it's a big mix of people now, with private apartments gone up everywhere in that area because of the IFSC and trinity across the road. Apart from a few young fellas messing about, I don't think you have anything to worry about, in fact I laughed when I read you post about it being the mat disadvantaged area in Ireland. HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Curious about this area too, does anyone have any more opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Perfect location, slap bang in the middle of Dublin. You will soon forget about the junkies.

Advertisement