Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden shed brewing

Options
  • 27-01-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Well folks as the title of the thread suggests I am looking for advice/ input from those who brew in their sheds.

I currently store all my gear in the garage but it's quite damp and not suitable for brew days. To save the hassle of setting up in the kitchen and creating a mess every brew day, I have been mulling over the idea of a permanent brew shed. Wooden garden shed sort. Anyone here do this?

I would also have room for a proper brew fridge! Woohoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

scrapsmac wrote: »
    Well folks as the title of the thread suggests I am looking for advice/ input from those who brew in their sheds.

I currently store all my gear in the garage but it's quite damp and not suitable for brew days. To save the hassle of setting up in the kitchen and creating a mess every brew day, I have been mulling over the idea of a permanent brew shed. Wooden garden shed sort. Anyone here do this?

Why do you tbink a garden shed would be dryer than a garage?

Is your kettle gas or electric?

Assuming the shed is smaller than garage, there'll be more condensation issues during the boil in the shed

Are you going to store grain in the shed too?

I agree a purpose built setup is better than the kitchen, but will the shed have drainage for rinsing trub, etc? Might be hard to get running hot water for cleaning etc

A shed is the way to go for lagering and fermenting, a garage or something fairly close tonthe house might be better for the actual brewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

The garage is in bad nick and quite old. The roof is leaking and whatnot. I have looked in to renovating the space but unfortunately there may be asbestos present so I would rather not touch it. There is a false roof at the min but it's what's above that that worries me.

My kettle is electric so I would need to run electricity out to the hut. I had planned to hook the shed up to the out Door tap via hose and then reconnect to a tap if that's possible?!

To be honest all this is really to find a more permanent home for all my gear and Avoid arguments in the house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The garage is in bad nick and quite old. The roof is leaking and whatnot. I have looked in to renovating the space but unfortunately there may be asbestos present so I would rather not touch it. There is a false roof at the min but it's what's above that that worries me.

My kettle is electric so I would need to run electricity out to the hut. I had planned to hook the shed up to the out Door tap via hose and then reconnect to a tap if that's possible?!

To be honest all this is really to find a more permanent home for all my gear and Avoid arguments in the house!!

If you were to run power out, I'd run two water pipes (from tap and back to drain) for a wort chiller too, I.e. have a tap in the shed at the end of the pipe from outdoor tap and use this shed tap for water for mash/sparge. Then you can use that tap into the chiller and use the second pipe for outflow

I'd have a good look about for safety rules running the power out. When I brew outside, I use a short extension lead but I'm just outside the back door. You don't want to draw power from the kitchen ring in case the kettle is switched on for a cuppa, while the wort is boiling...

Have you a shed already?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

I do all my Brewing in my wooden garden shed... 9 by 6 with a 3 foot veranda, making it 12 by 6...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My home brewery is in this:

LC_8.jpg

Except mine is at the bottom of my garden, so looks a little better! :D

What I do is make everything in the kitchen (boil everything up and poor directly into the 25 litre fermenter. Mix everything in and then bring it out to the cabin. Temperature stays pretty much constant in the cabin and its 100% dry. I use a heat belt on it aswell. I bottle everything in the cabin and store everything in the cabin.
    Im hoping to get a proper fridge into it some time soon. Half of the cabin is a recording studio, so trying to free up space at the minute. Very little mess in the kitchen, and once made, its all then done in the cabin. I do regret not getting a water pipe into the cabin though. Would have saved me requiring the kitchen for water!

• Advertisement

Thats a big cabin, I'm an all grain brewer, so i put up a self in the veranda for the kettle, i store my water in two fermenters, i've a fridge for the finished product, i've an old chest freezer for temperature controlled fermenting, all in all its small but i never need to go the the kitchen and wreck the wifes head...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

Havnt got a shed yet but looking at a b and q job with some added insulation and I would install some plug outlets.

my shed isn't insulated , does have power, the day before brew day I fill two fermenters with water and treat it with a campdem tablet, have em ready for brew day, washing up afterwards is also done at the outside tap...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi here is pic of mine, this is about 1.5 years old but you get the general idea with boiling and mashing with the pace for refrigeration/temp control of fermentation.

eed5b5b2-b7f7-4141-8fed-f997d7cfcf8c_zps358f0280.jpg

Advertisement