Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S3

Options
  • 27-01-2013 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Is there a known issue around this problem.

The phone was fine Friday night, put it on charge only to wake up the next morning and the phone dead and not powering up.

Tried 2 chargers and the computer.

Brought it into Meteor today and the guy was hinting at there been a problem with the charger input and saying there was moisture damage to it.

The phone is 3 months old, I have a feeling its going to come back unfixed and they are gonna say its my fault and I have to foot the bill.

If this is the case what way will I proceed considering it's only a 3 month old phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think there's a known motherboard issue. Look around the s3 megathread or xda, but I'm 99% sure samsung will fix it regardless of what rom you're running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I think there's a known motherboard issue. Look around the s3 megathread or xda, but I'm 99% sure samsung will fix it regardless of what rom you're running.

That seems positive.

It's just an absolute farce of a phone to be honest. Never had an issue like this in years and for a 3 month old phone. I won't be buying a Samsung again. Think I will jump back to the Apple ship, pitty the phone has so much but it's let down by bad hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Samsung apparently released a fix for the problem, but I guess you didn't get the update. Article on it here, plus tons more on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

msg11 wrote: »

That seems positive.

It's just an absolute farce of a phone to be honest. Never had an issue like this in years and for a 3 month old phone. I won't be buying a Samsung again. Think I will jump back to the Apple ship, pitty the phone has so much but it's let down by bad hardware.

Or it could just be moisture damage, which isn't the fault of the phone or manufacturer.

If it is the motherboard them the warranty will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

how can you software patch a motherboard issue ? /looks at my g3 nervously

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »
    how can you software patch a motherboard issue ? /looks at my g3 nervously
    Depending on the network you're on then a firmware update was released that patched an issue with a very small amount of GS3's that caused the mother board to crash.

Samsung fessed up to the problem and obviously agreed to replace any phones it happened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Depending on the network you're on then a firmware update was released that patched an issue with a very small amount of GS3's that caused the mother board to crash.

Samsung fessed up to the problem and obviously agreed to replace any phones it happened to.

In fairness to us users you don't expect such an issue from a phone worth nearly 600 euro after three months.

I'm completely phone-less and Meteor asking for a deposit of 40 euro on a Nokia worth about 20 euro when I am handing over a phone worth near 600!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This happened to me today. I noticed they brought an update out as well but ignored it cause I didn't want to deal with unlocking it again. Regret that decision now.

How do I go about getting this repaired. It's second hand if that makes any diferrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

The problem is easily fixed get get some electrical contact spray it can be bought in motor factors spray a quick burst into the charging port and some onto the charger connector. Plug it in and out a few times straight away after doing this it will work then you might have to do it again after a couple of weeks but after doing it the second time it should be ok. We got four s3's
    About 6 months ago and 3 of them have had this problem

Alucan wrote: »
    The problem is easily fixed get get some electrical contact spray it can be bought in motor factors spray a quick burst into the charging port and some onto the charger connector. Plug it in and out a few times straight away after doing this it will work then you might have to do it again after a couple of weeks but after doing it the second time it should be ok. We got four s3's
    About 6 months ago and 3 of them have had this problem

It didn't run out of battery though it just stopped working with about 50% still left. Would this still work you reckon?

• Advertisement

msg11 wrote: »

In fairness to us users you don't expect such an issue from a phone worth nearly 600 euro after three months.

I'm completely phone-less and Meteor asking for a deposit of 40 euro on a Nokia worth about 20 euro when I am handing over a phone worth near 600!

And there are people who've bought a €50,000 Mercedes and had to deal with it breaking down, faults, and simple mistakes during manufacturer.

Fact is is that faults can happen with any anything when it's made, no matter the cost. And yes, it's a complete pain in the hole.
    However, unlike many other companies, in this case Samsung admitted to the fault, released an update to fix it and have guaranteed to replace the phone for any customer it happens to.

As for Meteor, well that's just dammed annoying haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

Blacktie. wrote: »
    It didn't run out of battery though it just stopped working with about 50% still left. Would this still work you reckon?

With ours the phone would not charge so the battery went flat are you sure the battery has 50% still in it if so how? It is about €6 for a can so it's worth a try or if you know someone with a s3 you could try putting there charged battery in your phone if it still does not power up it is a different issue

Alucan wrote: »
    With ours the phone would not charge so the battery went flat are you sure the battery has 50% still in it if so how? It is about €6 for a can so it's worth a try or if you know someone with a s3 you could try putting there charged battery in your phone if it still does not power up it is a different issue

Yeah I was using it at the time so definetley wasn't flat or even nearly flat as I always keep it above 25% at worst. Yeah I'll give it a go anyway thanks for the tip.

Advertisement