Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People of Waterford wake up

Options
  • 27-01-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Well here you have it in black and white. James Reilly announces upgrades for two local Hospitals. Wexford and Kilkenny of course have received this great news. I'm sure Big Phil and little Brendan must be in their element while the silent Td's of Waterford look on as our county is being striped of everything that was granted to us by the last administration.
    I think the time for peaceful protest is long gone as we are clearly being screwed big time by two miinisters who are using stroke politics that would put Fianna Fail to shame.
    I taught Mary Harney was one of the worst Ministers of Health to ever hold office in my lifetime that is until James Reilly took office. Seems the big protest rally that was held a few weeks back was all in vain
    I think the cameras highlighted to many smiling faces in the crowd to make it look like we will be easily pushed aside.
    Think long and hard about this look at all we have lost so far its time to say stop in a more forceful manner. If our local Td's are to gutless to speak up we will have to make our voices heard in a more forceful manner. Well Paudi I wonder have you considered your situation yet as you said you would. Its time to make your voice heard .Enough is enough.http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0127/364743-hospital/

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can you tell us what this has to do with Waterford other than the fact that we didn't benefit from the government ministers getting their own back yard looked after?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Deise_67

maybe a more neutral observer would see the announcements differently, Waterford is slowly but surely being dismantled by this government while or our local TDs sleep walk to their pensions !

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Sully wrote: »
    Can you tell us what this has to do with Waterford other than the fact that we didn't benefit from the government ministers getting their own back yard looked after?

Upgrades for Wexford and Kilkenny while a downgrade is on the cards for Waterford Regional. I seem to recall in an other lifetime Waterford was designated a Centre of Excellence.
    Do you have any relation in the wonderful care of St Patrick's or St Aidan's. If you did you would see the savage cuts implemented to both of these premise's while curiously there has been an upgrade to similar establishments in Limerick. Why is that do you think .I sadly do have a brother in St Aidan's and it would make you cry to see the shameful cuts that have taken place there. I have no political agenda and certainly have no party affiliation. I am just somebody very frustrated who listen's to the complaints of family members of patients in the same boat as myself.
    I cannot speak highly enough about the staff there they are a credit to their profession as cut after cut is being implemented. You have to agree Waterford does not seem to have any political clout in this present administration while other counties with TD's who are Government ministers are not suffering as badly as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Well said Mcc,and sully I think you need to wake up and smell the roses,we are being shafted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Nothing Sully, nothing at all. Just two influential ministers from neighbouring counties making decisions about hospitals to the benefit of there electoral area without HSE sign off. Nothing at all to do with Waterford as WRH is perfectly safe and secure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm personally not seeing a strong enough Waterford connection, but that's just me. I don't see any connection with this article and Waterford. I wouldn't be suggesting Waterford people need to rise up and see they are being shafted or whatever - Waterford hasn't been impacted yet. This article does not suggest anything as such.

The whole Kilkenny hospital was debated here ages ago and I think most reasonable folk were in agreement it needed an upgrade. I don't know enough about Wexford to comment but it was always the center of 'will it won't it' in terms of closing under the last government. Do I think the way it was announced before the HSE were informed or made a decision? Absolutely not but its clearly the way James Reilly operates his role which is disappointing and I think its obvious political pressure was part of this (but I agree with the choices being made).

This government hasn't made a decision either way in regards to WRH so we can't poke them - yet - on a potential downgrade. It shouldn't be on the cards though and it appears that James Reilly has already said he wasn't interested in breaking up WRH. In addition, John Deasy appears to have came out and confirmed it was safe.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You're right Sully, it isn't a Waterford specific issue, however, what it does illustrate is how important it is to have someone at the cabinet table.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    You're right Sully, it isn't a Waterford specific issue, however, what it does illustrate is how important it is to have someone at the cabinet table.

Isn't that what people are complaining about? :P

none so blind as those who chose not to see !

Deise_67 wrote: »
    none so blind as those who chose not to see !

Most people are aware parish pump politics is alive and well. It wont be removed, even under a hard left government. Waterford even benefited from it and turned a blind eye at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That's a very good point actually. Waterford has benefitted from it before so stones shouldn't be thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Most people are aware parish pump politics is alive and well. It wont be removed, even under a hard left government. Waterford even benefited from it and turned a blind eye at the time.

I'm glad you admit that this Government is involved in parish pump politics. I distinctly remember Edna Kenny's promise of eradicating this carry on in one of his election promises calling it Fianna Fail's way of doing things.
    As I have said Sully I have no political mandate but hypocrisy real gets under my skin especially when I am looking at the serious damage it is doing.
    Hard left government are you having a laugh there.
    Do you believe that any of the gains that we received in the past here in Waterford were not merited.
    Oh by the way did you catch the 9 O'Clock news on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It annoys me when I hear 'Waterford benefitted from it'. Waterford did not get anything it didn't deserve in the last 20 years relative to its position as a regional main population centre.

There are multiple reasons to feel caught in a pincer between two influential ministers now. I feel that Waterford is being wound down and switched off by this government by strengthening all around it.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I'm glad you admit that this Government is involved in parish pump politics. I distinctly remember Edna Kenny's promise of eradicating this carry on in one of his election promises calling it Fianna Fail's way of doing things.
    As I have said Sully I have no political mandate but hypocrisy real gets under my skin especially when I am looking at the serious damage it is doing.
    Hard left government are you having a laugh there.
    Do you believe that any of the gains that we received in the past here in Waterford were not merited.
    Oh by the way did you catch the 9 O'Clock news on RTE.

It will be done by every party. You will struggle to get re-elected in Ireland unless you show your worth.
    Trotter wrote: »
    It annoys me when I hear 'Waterford benefitted from it'. Waterford did not get anything it didn't deserve in the last 20 years relative to its position as a regional main population centre.

There are multiple reasons to feel caught in a pincer between two influential ministers now. I feel that Waterford is being wound down and switched off by this government by strengthening all around it.

Are you saying Kilkenny doesn't deserve the hospital upgrade? A lot of the parish pump politics we see were needed.

Are you saying Kilkenny doesn't deserve the hospital upgrade? A lot of the parish pump politics we see were needed.

No I'm not, as well you know. I'm saying we need a transparent system.

Transparent is not a word I hear associated with the government much and I dearly look forward to my next opportunity to vote.

Waterford has survived on crumbs for years very little political clout ! since the latest shower came to power there seems to be a concerted attempt to downgrade/dismantle the city. no matter what the fine gael apologists say ! big Phil would like nothing better than to see Waterford crumble. he is the personification of everything that's rotten in irish politics.

No I'm not, as well you know. I'm saying we need a transparent system.

Transparent is not a word I hear associated with the government much and I dearly look forward to my next opportunity to vote.

More honest rather than transparent. The reasons are obvious, but its the way its done is whats inappropriate.
    Waterford has survived on crumbs for years very little political clout ! since the latest shower came to power there seems to be a concerted attempt to downgrade/dismantle the city. no matter what the fine gael apologists say ! big Phil would like nothing better than to see Waterford crumble. he is the personification of everything that's rotten in irish politics.

This 'last shower' haven't done much to impact on Waterford. There being blamed for the potential downgrading of WRH, but that's not a factual accusation as of yet.

your having a laugh aren't you ! haven't "done much to impact waterford" ! is that going to be your relection manifesto for waterford ?

This 'last shower' haven't done much to impact on Waterford

A whole lot of people who are livid at the attempted downgrade of Waterford City compared to Galway, Cork and Dublin by this last shower would beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Can't see FG getting elected again in Waterford, Sinn Fein could be dark horses for next election.

• Advertisement

your having a laugh aren't you ! haven't "done much to impact waterford" ! is that going to be your relection manifesto for waterford ?

I'm not a TD..
    A whole lot of people who are livid at the attempted downgrade of Waterford City compared to Galway, Cork and Dublin by this last shower would beg to differ.

A whole lot of people are also seeing through the bull****, smoke and daggers in relation to some of those highlighting this. I think its safe to say Waterford is divided on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

There's the proof if proof were needed that the St Lukes and Wexford upgrades will ultimately be at the expense of WRH. But don't you know its tin foil hat stuff? What's hilarious is the same FG sycophantic brown nose response here. Its almost as funny as Enda the puppet hiding behing the ghost of Jean McConville.

Caferful now with the cyber bullying lads:D

I'm not a TD..

A whole lot of people are also seeing through the bull****, smoke and daggers in relation to some of those highlighting this. I think its safe to say Waterford is divided on this.

Yes Waterford is divided over this. But the people who haven't their heads up there are or in the sand far outweigh the FG hacks.

Yes Waterford is divided over this. But the people who haven't their heads up there are or in the sand far outweigh the FG hacks.

I don't think everybody who isn't phased by the claims being made are 'FG hacks'. Welcome to the world where people have different opinions :)

There's the proof if proof were needed that the St Lukes and Wexford upgrades will ultimately be at the expense of WRH. But don't you know its tin foil hat stuff? What's hilarious is the same FG sycophantic brown nose response here. Its almost as funny as Enda the puppet hiding behing the ghost of Jean McConville.

Well before WRH was an issue or on the agenda for a potential downgrade (and not by our government) St Lukes was on the cards for an upgrade and locals in the area would say it badly needed it. I'm not sure about Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Crazy thing is when some politician eventually grows a pair and makes the hard political decision that have to be made with our health services some or all of these hospitals will have to be closed after spending all this scarce money on them.

Well before WRH was an issue or on the agenda for a potential downgrade (and not by our government) St Lukes was on the cards for an upgrade and locals in the area would say it badly needed it. I'm not sure about Wexford.

That is Bull****. St Lukes was years down the road for an upgrade as was Wexford.Just like the PCC's. Our neighbouring gombeen scum saw fit to announce it in 2011 to their constituents. Yet one year late WRH is been proposed for a downgrade which is 100% the responsibility of this government. So the fact remains the people of Waterford and South Kilkenny/East Wexford are been sacrificed so Phil and Brendan can look after their own power base.

I don't think everybody who isn't phased by the claims being made are 'FG hacks'. Welcome to the world where people have different opinions :)

You're right the people who aren't phased are not FG hacks. Those people (Joe Public) already know what FG are so they won't be phased or surprised. The Hacks will be phased as much as they try and pretend not to be as they see incompetents like Phil Hogan playing the zero sum game FG promised to change. Proving that the old adage was true after all.They're all the same.

• Advertisement

That is Bull****. St Lukes was years down the road for an upgrade as was Wexford.Just like the PCC's. Our neighbouring gombeen scum saw fit to announce it in 2011 to their constituents. Yet one year late WRH is been proposed for a downgrade which is 100% the responsibility of this government. So the fact remains the people of Waterford and South Kilkenny/East Wexford are been sacrificed so Phil and Brendan can look after their own power base.

I'm not saying there was anything right with how it was accelarted without the HSEs knowledge/consent, but it was on the cards. The Medical Assessment Unit has been housed in a Portakabin in St. Lukes, and I believe the A&E in Wexford is in very poor condition.

The HSE Capital Plan for 2010-2015, both projects were at design stage, with no completion dates assigned to them. It remained in the plan for 2011-2015 but no completion date was agreed. This seems to be the problem - the Ministers got the developments accelerated and announced before the HSE had agreed, which is completely wrong and highly inappropriate.

The South East Regional Service Plan for 2011 and preceding years stated Wexford would need work and planning was given to the HSE in 2010, approved by Wexford Council in 2011, and the design and planing for this was going as far back as 2009.

Advertisement