Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to book your flights?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i am fully aware the process for the visa has not open yet. but just wondering are any of you or have booked your flights now? the reason i ask is i see the prices of flights rising daily. i looked at a flight one month ago for Calgary 1 way end march it was 320 the same flight now is 491 euro:rolleyes: so just wondering are any of ye booking your flights in the coming days? i think as soon (if i do) get my conditional acceptance letter i will book. love to hear what any of you guys who are hoping to go asap are doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hey guys i am fully aware the process for the visa has not open yet. but just wondering are any of you or have booked your flights now? the reason i ask is i see the prices of flights rising daily. i looked at a flight one month ago for Calgary 1 way end march it was 320 the same flight now is 491 euro:rolleyes: so just wondering are any of ye booking your flights in the coming days? i think as soon (if i do) get my conditional acceptance letter i will book. love to hear what any of you guys who are hoping to go asap are doing.

Wait till you have the Loi in the claw bud
    Just because this process is online don't mean it will be quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea I know the prices are rising but I'd be the same, wait til the LOI is in your hot little hand, or you could find yourself paying mahoosive amounts for change of date flight tickets when your flights approaching fast and there be no sign of the LOI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

haha yea that's true i suppose:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Not to mention the added stress of waiting and watching knowing that the flight date is rapidly approaching.
    You would be gone pure demented

Not to mention the added stress of waiting and watching knowing that the flight date is rapidly approaching.
    You would be gone pure demented

That is gonna happen anyway when we do book and our flight is approaching. The stress/excitement/aprihension etc when it gets closer and closer, we'll be fidgiting like midges!

• Advertisement

ha there will be just excitement for me cant wait to get out of this kip of a country have 4 job interviews for april really hope i am there by then:/

ha there will be just excitement for me cant wait to get out of this kip of a country have 4 job interviews for april really hope i am there by then:/

Well done on the job interviews :) Hopefully one of them will pan out for ya. I don't have anything yet, but I need some serious saving done before I leave so it'l be next year before I go.

Having said that though, I am going to go to the Working Abroad expo (both of them!) and if I get offered a good job, and the requiredness to leave immediately hell to the yea I will

when is that?:)

when is that?:)

Beginning March and then again in October. The October one last year was hopping. Bazillions of people queuing for hours, they ended up restricting it to people who had pre-booked online and refusing people who had turned up to pay on the day due to the sheer volume of people that turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

off topic but may I ask what line of work is the interviews for? how did you go about setting up interviews from Ireland?

• Advertisement

2 electrician and 2 for o/g work in the NWT near the Arctic be it the last two jobs are fifo roles and not to many peoples taste. all got through networking and speaking directly to hr or if i could not speak to them someone that's on the ground regards recruiting.

2 electrician and 2 for o/g work in the NWT near the Arctic be it the last two jobs are fifo roles and not to many peoples taste. all got through networking and speaking directly to hr or if i could not speak to them someone that's on the ground regards recruiting.

Thanks for the information, I must start in contacting hr departments, I have tried contacting some through LinkedIn but getting no responses will keep looking and see what comes up.

Yea e-mailing is how i have done all my contacting don't be a afraid to talk yourself up to the last:D Because they will get tons of emails a day and probably wont read many but if they read one that catches there eye and reply half your work is done;) then its all about your linkedin page after that i would send them a link to my page and have a CV up there and good solid written references and the rest should follow:D

Yea e-mailing is how i have done all my contacting don't be a afraid to talk yourself up to the last:D Because they will get tons of emails a day and probably wont read many but if they read one that catches there eye and reply half your work is done;) then its all about your linkedin page after that i would send them a link to my page and have a CV up there and good solid written references and the rest should follow:D

Thanks Ross, I must update my LinkedIn page and follow your advice.

No problems mate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wouldn't be booking any flights til you get the LOI itself.

Last year I applied in late Feb early/March and didn't get the LOI until mid June!

I have a linkedin page, I have no idea what I am doing with it, what I am supposed to be doing etc. I don't have much experience, lots of study, no hands on yakno

you may get updateing it so;)

I have no idea how or what to do (god I sound thick). I may go on it and see if it gives me inspiration!!

i didn't either but i wrote down all my info on a page and got my friend to update it for me shes up to date with all the jazz:D

• Advertisement

I'll sit down this eve and have a good look at it so, see can I figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I'd definitely wait until you have your LOI before you go booking any flights, you'll still get something reasonable, try skyscanner as they offer pretty competitive deals and you'll get be able to get a flight at a decent price.
    Congrats on the interviews, I'd say you're one of the few that are lucky enough to have one before you arrive in the country! :)

cheers mate i have been hustling like mad i easily have sent out 1000 e-mails so thankfully i got a good few reply's and 4 defiantly:). yea i think ye are right i am going to wait till then:)

cheers mate i have been hustling like mad i easily have sent out 1000 e-mails so thankfully i got a good few reply's and 4 defiantly:). yea i think ye are right i am going to wait till then:)

I am deffo gonna be hustling like you, but closer to the time. If I did it now I'd just be annoying prospective employers cos I ain't going over a while. But yea all the hustling and networking you can manage from this side of the water will only stand you in good stead when you get over there in my opinion. You deffo have the right approach and good luck to you in securing your dream and getting out the 188 club. I'll be right behind ya :D

Advertisement