Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home page lost?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi,I am not very PC Techy .Here is the problem.No Home page with Icons,When I do get in via ctrl alt del buttons there is NO tool bar on bottom of page ! Any info will help.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

Hi,I am not very PC Techy .Here is the problem.No Home page with Icons,When I do get in via ctrl alt del buttons there is NO tool bar on bottom of page ! Any info will help.Thanks
    What do you mean by home page? The desktop with the icons? and no start menu?
    What version of windows have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

yes chance wrote: »
    What do you mean by home page? The desktop with the icons? and no start menu?
    What version of windows have you?

Yes No Start menu. Vista basic .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try move your mouse over the 4 corners of the screen, does the Taskbar appear then?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Try move your mouse over the 4 corners of the screen, does the Taskbar appear then?

Nick

No Nick

Alt CTRL->Del then Start Task Manager then File>Run and type exporer.exe and hit ok. Does Windows explorer open then?

Nick

• Advertisement

Nick

No Nick

Alt CTRL->Del then Start Task Manager then File>Run and type exporer.exe and hit ok. Does Windows explorer open then?

Nick

No.

Have you tried restarting the computer? It looks like your explorer.exe may have become corrupt somehow, maybe a virus/piece of malware or an anti virus program removed the wrong file. At any rate do you have a windows Vista recovery disc? Running a "Startup Repair" may help

Nick

No Nick
    what is open in the left hand bottom corner?

what is open in the left hand bottom corner?

Command prompt of some sort, looks like explorer is failing to load, so all windows go down to that point rather than the taskbar. cmd.exe is a seperate program to explorer

Nick

• Advertisement

Have you tried restarting the computer? It looks like your explorer.exe may have become corrupt somehow, maybe a virus/piece of malware or an anti virus program removed the wrong file. At any rate do you have a windows Vista recovery disc? Running a "Startup Repair" may help

Nick
    can he restart if there is no start button? Uness hold down the power switch to switch off. then when it restarts is should give option of safe mode normal start etc if it restarts

can he restart if there is no start button? Uness hold down the power switch to switch off. then when it restarts is should give option of safe mode normal start etc if it restarts

Can restart from Task Manager

Nick

Thanks again.I got it sorted!Dont know how but alls well.Thanks for your help again.

Thanks again.I got it sorted!Dont know how but alls well.Thanks for your help again.
    glad you got sorted
    Can restart from Task Manager

Nick
    I do not have that option on my vista home premium.It is apparently not on vista

glad you got sorted

I do not have that option on my vista home premium.It is apparently not on vista

Appologies for that, in that instance hold the power button for 10 seconds, machine off>Turn back on :P

Nick

Appologies for that, in that instance hold the power button for 10 seconds, machine off>Turn back on :P

Nick
    no problem was just pointing it out. The bat file on that link works on vista
    Just make a batch file on your desktop with contents:
    shutdown -r -t 00
    and run it to restart your pc. Alternatively, if you want to shut down, replace “-r” with “-s”.
    For n00bs: a batch file is just a text file with .bat extension which makes it executable.
    I'm sure you know that but others may not and may be helpful for OP to have on his desktop

I do appreciate there are better methods to shut down a machine but the occasional power off won't do much harm I don't think. Good call on the command line option though, that would have done the trick :)

Nick

Advertisement