Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install a light from a socket

Options
  • 27-01-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In my shed I have power sockets for the washing machine, dryer and boiler but there is no light. Is it possible to run power up from the socket or mains to a light? Is it difficult? I have some (but not much) experience with electrical equipment.

Sorry - I just realised I posted this in DIY when it should be in Electrical. I don't see an option to delete?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-HCMf7aphEi4tsvyBiwWM-0kdD9LCnc6qY5RtQCoG7N7Dy41j

Get one of these for your bulb and a length of electric cable that you need from your socket to the position that your placing the light in.

Add a plug to one end of the cable and this bulb holder/rose to the other and when you plug in it in the light comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Is there a small fuseboard in the shed? If so you could stick an mcb in it and wire the light through a switch. This way if theres a fault with the light it wont trip your socket circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

m.j.w wrote: »
    Is there a small fuseboard in the shed? If so you could stick an mcb in it and wire the light through a switch. This way if theres a fault with the light it wont trip your socket circuit.

There is an MCB in the boiler house/shed where the power comes in. From there the cabels run down the wall to a socket by the boiler and then on to a socket which the washing machine and dryer are plugged into.

My boiler's timer seems to work like a light switch, providing power to the socket which the boiler is plugged into only when its supposed to be on. There is always power to the socket by the washer and dryer.

What would you suggest there?

The plug in light would not suit as all of the sockets are in use all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

engrish? wrote: »
    There is an MCB in the boiler house/shed where the power comes in. From there the cabels run down the wall to a socket by the boiler and then on to a socket which the washing machine and dryer are plugged into.

My boiler's timer seems to work like a light switch, providing power to the socket which the boiler is plugged into only when its supposed to be on. There is always power to the socket by the washer and dryer.

What would you suggest there?

The plug in light would not suit as all of the sockets are in use all the time.

Stick a new mcb in the board (they are cheap enough), run a cable from the mcb to a switch and then from the switch to the light.

Advertisement