Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microgeneration scheme

Options
  • 27-01-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

is the micro generation scheme difficult  to set up and are diesel generators worth while  for it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi shagal,

ESB Networks have a step-by-step guide to installing and connecting a micro-generator here on their website. In terms of the specific type of generator, provided it has a maximum rated output of 6kW (or 11kW if the connection is three-phase) and conforms to the Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro-Generation then the source of the supply is up to the individual installing it, be it diesel, wind, photovoltaic or CHP (combined heat and power).

We provide a micro-generation export payment of €0.09 per kWh, which we have extended until 31st Dec 2013. You can find further information about this tariff here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

Hi shagal,

ESB Networks have a step-by-step guide to installing and connecting a micro-generator here on their website. In terms of the specific type of generator, provided it has a maximum rated output of 6kW (or 11kW if the connection is three-phase) and conforms to the Conditions Governing the Connection and Operation of Micro-Generation then the source of the supply is up to the individual installing it, be it diesel, wind, photovoltaic or CHP (combined heat and power).

We provide a micro-generation export payment of €0.09 per kWh, which we have extended until 31st Dec 2013. You can find further information about this tariff here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

Thanks for getting back to me so quick
    is there a limit on annual export payment etc
    thanks 
    shagal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Shagal,

There is no limit on Electric Ireland’s 9 cent/kWh payment, i.e. we offer an export tariff payment of 9 cent/kWh for every kWh (unit of electricity) that is exported to the grid.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

When will the current MicroGeneration tarriff be reviewed?  Are people expected to invest into MicroGeneration when the REFIT rate offers no surety, and is merely extended on a yearly basis?  The contrast with the UK and every other European country sure is stark, and the thousands and thousands of quality jobs that have been created in their industries really points at the opportunity that continues to be missed in Ireland.   It's a shame that 'Electric Ireland' offer such a low rate when the 'MicroGenerated' energy that is exported to the Grid is of such a high quality, offsets CO2 emissions, and is used locally with absolutely minimal transmission losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Coles,

The whole area of micro-generation is currently being reviewed by government as part of the Programme For Government. In the meantime, Electric Ireland reviews its micro-generation scheme on an annual basis, and following its last review at the end of 2012, Electric Ireland extended its micro-generation export payment of 9 cent/kWh by a further year to 31st December 2013. This will be the third successive year that the expiry date has been extended.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

just a quick word
     done a bit of research on diesel generators  the best i found was a lister- petter  marine  6.1 kw with heat exchanger that will probably need more modification to work as a chp unit runs at 1.9 litres diesel per hour  and at approx 86 cent a litre bulk delivered  would cost  E1.634 per hour to run  .
    now take into account my own electric and heat needs  of approx E3.50 electric and oil  approx E 5..50 per day  winter time = E9.00 per day 
      at 18 kw electric per day home use would require 3 hours running of genney to meet my own needs alone at a cost of E1.634x3=E4.902
    which results in a loss of E 1.402 per day 
     HEAT
    generator running  for approx 10 hours per day to provide heat+electric   , would use    E1.634x10 =  E 16.34 per day 
    total electric produced would be 6 kw x 10 hrs =60 kw  - 18 kw (my own use )leaving 42 kw@.09 cent per kw =E3.78 euro feed in tarrif
    taking feed in tarrif from fuel costs per day   etc E16.34 less E3.78 =E12.56  costs per day 
      with exsisting energy need costs of E 9.00 per day would leave a loss of  E 3.56 per day 
    this is not taking into account of purchase of equipment  and instalation costs etc 
      looking at some of the english micro generation schemes first thing i noticed was the feed in  tarrif of 0.14 pence (approx  0.175cent with exchange rate of 1.25)also more finincal help on purchase and instalation of equipment etc
     shows how far we have to go  in this area , a E0.175 cent feed in tarrif here would show a E7.35 feed in tarrif which from the E16.34 running cost would leave a cost of E 8.99  ,more or less what it cost  any way  so still some way to go 

yes i know some one will say why not a wind turbine  or a photovoltic panels  firstly  site not suitable for wind turbine lots of wind but no room for tower  (neighbours too close )  secondly photovoltic panels  , would require to many to be viable plus not enough roof space etc plus Ireland is not exactly endowed with sun shine   yes panels dont actually need sun light to work  but work best with it  so i guess i answered my own original question :)
    thats my bit for now .

hope i got my sums right!

Hi Coles,

The whole area of micro-generation is currently being reviewed by government as part of the Programme For Government. In the meantime, Electric Ireland reviews its micro-generation scheme on an annual basis, and following its last review at the end of 2012, Electric Ireland extended its micro-generation export payment of 9 cent/kWh by a further year to 31st December 2013. This will be the third successive year that the expiry date has been extended.

Regards,
    Una
    Well, yes, and that's exactly the point I am making.  Electric Ireland are keeping MicroGeneration on Death Row.  How about formulating a long term plan so that people know exactly what they are investing into?

Anyone who is interested in comparing the Irish MicroGeneration scheme to the UK should have a look at this UK government calculator.

Cashback Calculator

Take a small Wind Turbine producing 20,000 kWhrs and exporting all to the Grid.  In Ireland you will receive €1,800, in the UK you will receive more than €6,000.  

Take a Micro Hydro installation producing 80,000 kWhrs and exporting all to the Grid.  In Ireland you will receive €7,200 per annum, in the UK you will receive more than €25,000.

Why would anyone invest into this sector in Ireland?  Why would anyone set up a company to develop products for this industry when there is no domestic market?  Why would anyone put their skills, capital and ideas to work in Ireland when there is no support?

It's absolutely crazy.

Advertisement