Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando

Options
  • 27-01-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Heading to Orlando as part of the honeymoon for a week. Neither of us would be overly keen on theme parks but feel that when we are there we should make the effort to experience some of them. What would people suggest are the main parks/attractions that we should visit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Heading to Orlando as part of the honeymoon for a week. Neither of us would be overly keen on theme parks but feel that when we are there we should make the effort to experience some of them. What would people suggest are the main parks/attractions that we should visit?
    I would suggest Universal rather than Disney for adults.
    Seaworld is well worth a visit. If you are driving, The Kennedy Space Centre is good(over an hours drive from Orlando).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Universal Studios is excellent. We spend two days in Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay a few years ago. Had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

As already mentioned I'd pick Universal studios / Islands of adventure, Seaworld and a trip down to Busch ( about 1hr15m from Orlando). Wouldn't totally discount Disney, maybe Epcot or Hollywood studios or both
    Theme parks are fun, you will have a great time
    Cirque du Soleil at Downtown Disney would be worth it also, You could take an airboat ride or visit a shooting range ( just in case the whole marriage thing doesn't work out) :p I'm joking
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

universal universal universal, sea world also if you'd luke to swim with dolphins and sting ray and the likes. also dont drive to sea world as all you can eat and drink is free.

tiny timy wrote: »
    sea world also if you'd luke to swim with dolphins and sting ray and the likes. also dont drive to sea world as all you can eat and drink is free.

That's Discovery cove, in Seaworld you can pay extra and feed the Dolphins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Went to Orlando (and a cruise from Port Canaveral) for our Honeymoon last year. Enjoyed it immensely but as others have said I would strongly suggest avoiding Disney! We spent 3 nights in a Disney Resort and 3 in a Universal resort. Disney really is geared towards families, we mostly found the parks (Hollywood Studios and Epcot) and the night time area(Downtown Disney) boring to be honest. Universal parks were much better and the night time area (City Walk) was geared much more towards adults, i.e. duelling pianos at Pat O'Briens!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Think we will give Disney a quick visit as well as taking a day or two around Universal and going out to the Kennedy Space Centre for a day.
    Still looking for info on what to do in the evenings and places to eat so please keep your suggestions coming.

Thanks

Where are you staying, will you have a car & when are you going to be there?

Wont have a car. Cant remember the name of the hotel but its on international drive.

Some nice places to eat in Universal Studios, and great atmosphere there in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Universal and Aquatica (new Seaworld park) Kennedy Space center. The hotels will run tours to KSC so you don't necessarily need a car.

Have never stayed on I-Drive but consider getting a car, €150 including all insurances for an economy 2 door car with Alamo for a week

As said Universals City Walk area has some nice places to eat/drink

There are plenty of good places to eat on International Drive. Unfortunately it is a long street.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

johnayo wrote: »
    There are plenty of good places to eat on International Drive. Unfortunately it is a long street.:D

Universal, islands of adventure. Harry Potter ride is amazing.
    We were on isr

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

johnayo wrote: »

Universal, islands of adventure. Harry Potter ride is amazing.
    We were on I drive and travelled by I-trolley. So cheap for the week.
    Premium outlets worth a visit - north and south of I-drive.

We spent a week in ckearwater afterwards.
    Amazing beach - white sand, warm water. Worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Car hire is cheap but I think some people find driving on the opposite side of the road scares some people.Also if you want to have a drink during the day.Its nice to be driven. We found when we first got married and went to Orlando we hardly used the hire care for the the two weeks but when we had kids we drove the car everywhere. The I-Ride trolley is a great way to get around and cheap too!!

Staying at the Crown Plaza Universal

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

defo need a car for getting round,especially if you're thinking of Disney, which is very expensive even before they add on the tax,as the prices are pre tax at the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I can't imagine going to Florida without a car. And if you plan a long trip, there are better places to see than Orlando. Can't imagine going all that way and not going to the beaches.

I can't imagine going to Florida without a car. And if you plan a long trip, there are better places to see than Orlando. Can't imagine going all that way and not going to the beaches.

Have to agree with you there. Went to Clearwater on the Gulf one day and to Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side another day. Beautiful beaches on fine days. Would have found it difficult to get to either without a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnnymcgill1

Just back from orlando,stayed on idrive, loads of places to eat there and not too expensive, get a 2 day base pass to universal and you get the 3rd day free see if you can get a deal to get sea world added in too you'll be able to do this in your hotel,you have too see seaworld also if your doing universal it's well worth the extra 60 dollars for the express ticket to skip the lines, do universal studios on the first day and try to do everything it's amazing,shrek 4d and the Simpson ride is unreal, use the second day for island of adventure for Harry potter and Jurassic park etc amazing rides, if ye can go and see blue man group in universal,it costs extra but if u buy the tickets at your hotel you'll save money,they are the best show you'll ever see. We went to kennedy space centre got a tour bus there,steeped in history and plenty of shows there too, the bodies expo is on idrive as well as ripleys believe it or not and are well worth going,I'd love to be going back,didn't do Disney but believe its catered for adults too,enjoy the trip

That's great info on universal, thanks very much. Sounds really good and we are really looking forward to the trip now.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

can anybody recommend a nice hotels for a couple a nights for a couple , taking in Orlando as part of a trip to the states in july ( will be visiting universal and disney)
    thanks in advance
    Gally

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Gally05 wrote: »
    can anybody recommend a nice hotels for a couple a nights for a couple , taking in Orlando as part of a trip to the states in july ( will be visiting universal and disney)
    thanks in advance
    Gally

Depends on how much you're willing to spend on a nice hotel. If you're visiting theme parks you have to remember you'll probably be visiting them for maybe 8-12hours. Don't want to be paying top dollar on a room you'll barely be in.

I personally like the homewood suites by hilton at i-drive/convention centre. They had a free shuttle to the theme parks last time i was there and free breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

wendydoll wrote: »
    Depends on how much you're willing to spend on a nice hotel. If you're visiting theme parks you have to remember you'll probably be visiting them for maybe 8-12hours. Don't want to be paying top dollar on a room you'll barely be in.

I personally like the homewood suites by hilton at i-drive/convention centre. They had a free shuttle to the theme parks last time i was there and free breakfast.

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Gally05 wrote: »
    thanks in advance
    Gally

Gally I just booked four points by sheraton on international drive. It's a 4 star and in a good location (close to universal studios). I got 4 nights on onhotels.com for €255, using the discount code MAY05. The same hotel is €400+ on expedia, booking.com etc so worth a look as I think it's a pretty good price for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 annabella26

sorry to ressurect an old thread but this was right down my avenue, who did you all book with and did you all book flights,accom and tickets seperate or go with a package deal? my head is currently fried looking at deals and wondering whats included with each as to price differences but we need to try and book before christmas as its a honeymoon for march

any info would be greatly appreciated! cheers :D

sorry to ressurect an old thread but this was right down my avenue, who did you all book with and did you all book flights,accom and tickets seperate or go with a package deal? my head is currently fried looking at deals and wondering whats included with each as to price differences but we need to try and book before christmas as its a honeymoon for march

any info would be greatly appreciated! cheers :D

Been 4 times, booked flights and accommodation with both tour america and american holidays. Booked attractions with attraction tickets direct. I like the fact they gave you the actual park tickets and not a voucher so you didn't have to queue up to cash in your vouchers for actual park tickets.

Pretty sure you'll have to book your own transfers from the airport to hotel and back. We paid for a private taxi each time.

If you aren't driving I'd suggest getting a hotel that runs a shuttle to theme parks (at least Disney, if you are staying on international drive) and maybe complimentary breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 annabella26

wendydoll wrote: »
    Been 4 times, booked flights and accommodation with both tour america and american holidays. Booked attractions with attraction tickets direct. I like the fact they gave you the actual park tickets and not a voucher so you didn't have to queue up to cash in your vouchers for actual park tickets.

Pretty sure you'll have to book your own transfers from the airport to hotel and back. We paid for a private taxi each time.

If you aren't driving I'd suggest getting a hotel that runs a shuttle to theme parks (at least Disney, if you are staying on international drive) and maybe complimentary breakfast.

we are bringing our 2 boys with us so will probably need a car if we want to do sea world etc? there is a massive price difference between travelusa.ie and americanholidays.... im talking over 2k! is this normal? im going to ring both companies again monday as other half dealt with one and im sure there must have been a crossed wire for it to have such a difference

• Advertisement

All the times we were there, we have never rented a car. You'd want to be comfortable driving on the other side of the road.

You don't need a car to get to Seaworld- the i-ride trolley stops at Seaworld.

If you are thinking of going to Busch gardens, your park tickets usually includes travel in the shuttle coaches. You just have to ring a day or 2 before to book your spot on the bus.

Most hotels will drop you at one of the disneyworld parks. Usually Epcot and then you take the disney monorail, buses, ferry to all other disney parks.

Remember if you hire a car you will have to pay for parking at the theme parks.

If you are flexible with your dates you'll be able to grab a good bargain. Shop around as much as you can. There's no point paying a fortune for a expense hotel when you'll literally be in theme parks from 10am-10pm. I wouldn't be paying 2k more similar holiday package

Advertisement