Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

filling prescription in spain etc

Options
  • 27-01-2013 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Spend 75euros a month on prescription meds. Could get same generics in Spain for 15. Haven't been on holiday for few yrs due to finances but partner reckons if could get 6 months prescription filled there ,savings would pay for wknd in sun. Anyone any experience? If my doctor had explicitly written that all 6 months can be obtained at once,would Spanish pharmacy give me or would i be taking a chance? Am getting really excited at thought that can justify trip abroad (even for one night! ) by doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 psychnurse

I live in another European country where some and not all medications are cheaper than they are at home. However, here in Cyprus, as I assume with any other country in the world, a prescription written by a doctor who isn't from that country is not valid and cannot be dispensed.

I came to Cyprus with a list of medication as long as my arm that was costing on average 1500 euro per month at home (thank God for the DPS) and with a prescription for a 6 month supply. I was told by the pharmacist her that they didn't have the drugs that I needed in Cyprus and for they ones they did have, I would need a prescription written by a Cypriot registered doctor.

Now I am unsure what the system is like in Spain but I would guess that not all the medications you are taking will be available there and alternatives would need to be prescribed which may then cause further interactions. I speak with much knowledge in this area as I am both a patient and a nurse.

I would try not to get too excited by this idea as it seems that it could end up either costing you a hell of a lot more in medications than you think IF you could get them and also there really is no guarantee that you will be able to get them.

Have you spoken with your pharmacist here about the generic form of what you are taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I get a supply of my meds when I go to Portugal. My main meds generally cost €125 +/- (Though I can pay €170 here, if I don't shop around). I get the same in Portugal for €72.

You can legally import 3 months supply and will probably get away with 6 months. More than that and you risk confiscation. You can't (legally) ask someone else, e.g. your spouse (traveling with you) to bring some.

If you do intend getting your meds abroad, check that the meds are known by the same name in Spain (or wherever) - isn't always the case, and that they are available at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Condo131 wrote: »
    I get a supply of my meds when I go to Portugal. My main meds generally cost €125 +/- (Though I can pay €170 here, if I don't shop around). I get the same in Portugal for €72.

You can legally import 3 months supply and will probably get away with 6 months. More than that and you risk confiscation. You can't (legally) ask someone else, e.g. your spouse (traveling with you) to bring some.

If you do intend getting your meds abroad, check that the meds are known by the same name in Spain (or wherever) - isn't always the case, and that they are available at all.

Excellent news! I've heard people on radio talk about people doing this on holidays so was surprised when previous poster reckoned pharmacies abroad wouldn't dispense. My doc always uses generic name so should be fine as regards accuracy. Thanks!!

Advertisement