Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Complaining About Hedge Being Too High

Options
  • 27-01-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My neighbour keeps complaining that my laurel hedge is blocking her light and is too high. I only cut it a year and a half ago, to 6 ft. It is about 14 ft away from her window so I don't think it could be blocking her light. Could anyone tell me what is the law on this situation in Ireland? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

As far as I know she is entitled to cut what comes in to her area but she is not allowed to take anything off the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There was an interesting article in this very topic in the I.T. last year.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2012/0614/1224317867177.html

The gist is that there's not much your neighbour can do other than keep complaining, so long as your hedge is not breaching any planning restrictions attached to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Think of it this way. Your neighbour has no right to horizontal light (hedges, trees in your garden, etc) but does to vertical light (can cut anything overhanging into their property).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joey2

Thank you very much to all who replied. i found the article in the IT to be of great help. I had to go to a solicitor and she told me exactly that was in the article. There's no proper guidelines which makes it more confusing but at least I know I am not in the wrong. Thanks again!

Advertisement