Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transporting a firearm on a motorbike

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clint highway

just back from having a chat with the firearms officer
    the jist of it was as long as its in a slip with the bolt and magazine carried seperatly in a rucksack and i am travelling to the range theirs no problem
    thanks to all for their advice

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the jist of it was as long as its in a slip with the bolt and magazine carried seperatly in a rucksack and i am travelling to the range theirs no problem
    A good end result, thanks for the update clint.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    All this discussion about personal security arrangements is really mootless. The point is, in an atmosphere of disquiet after the blatant slaughter of a Garda detective during a robbery last week, how likely is the OP to actually be ALLOWED to cavort around the countryside and a town on his motocycle with a rifle over his shoulder, like a Swiss militiaman of yore.

Personally, I'd give him five minutes before he is stopped by a roadblock of extremely irate and armed Gardaí.

tac
    The tragedy you refer to, while a horrible act of cowardice perpetrated by the lowest layer of scum on the planet (as polite as i can put on an open forum), may for a brief period impose higher levels of inspection by An Gardaí, but the same rule applies. Use common sense.

Where i used to live when walking from my house to the local wood (some 800 yards) i carried the shotgun in a slip, and when i get there hung it on a tree until i'm finished shooting. For no other reason than to give a little peace of mind to the new residents in the houses newly built along my path.
    just back from having a chat with the firearms officer
    thanks to all for their advice
    As said, a good result, and in keeping with the common sense appraoch outlined in this thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Sell the bike and get a car.

Absolute bollox.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 8 popeye22

you have no problem in what u propose, once the gun is unloaded and covered, and you have your licence on hand, but keep moving,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Last time I was in the bike shop in Clonmel having my usual drool fest I spotted a gun case specifically for motorbikes. It was ABS plastic (judging by the look) and was lockable.
    Theres surely no Garda that would question you if you had a firearm stored in a case designed specially for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

It is funny how different countries have different Laws, this is one of the biggest No No's in Australia after a little misunderstanding between the Bandidos and Comancheros in Milperra in Western Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Glencree

You own a gun, you want to transport it on a bike, go ahead, just have the common sense to carry it in a way that doesnt draw attention to you as a gun owner. personally Ive done it, in its slip, inside a soft guitar case...easy, I've mates who have their slips covered in Gone Fishing stickers etc.

The problem is that the general public have a perception of firearms, they don't know the legalities, and when they see someone with one where it looks dodgy they call the Gardai, who then have to assume the worst, rush to scene, putting themselves and others at risk, while taking those resources away from real incidents where Gardai are needed.

Enjoy your shooting, don't draw unwanted attention to yourself and keep safe.

Advertisement