Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Masters without being physically

• 27-01-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently examining the possibility of doing a Masters/PHD later this year, probably in the Business/Humanities area,
    I was just wondering when doing a Masters by Research/PHD does the student need to be present on the university campus on a daily basis.
    I dont see why it would be necessary at all for any course if its all student research & modern communication methods such as Skype would surely be adequate for supervisor contact, no?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Probably depends on the subject, and your supervisor. Personally I think it would be better to be on campus at least a few days a week to give yourself structure; and its far easier to communicate with your supervisor in person than by skype. Plus, if you are funded, you may well find yourself signed up to give tutorials etc. Additionally, you would be missing out on the opportunity to network/make friends with your future colleagues by not attending the campus at least occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you would have to be physically present at some stage in the process. For me, I'm studying about a 10 hour flight away from my university. However, during the Summer, I attend for four weeks, which suits me perfectly. I keep in touch with fellow students (who are also equally dispersed) via Facebook/e-mail/Blackboard. Same goes for lecturers/professors.

So no, I wouldn't think you have to be present on a daily basis, but some presence would be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I live in Ireland, registered at college in the UK, doing a PhD. I travel over to take half-day seminars and for some meetings (probably a total of 20 days in the year?), but for the most part they're happy with me keeping in contact online. It can be difficult to structure and motivate myself but so far I've been able to manage it.

Advertisement