Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with improvement...

• 27-01-2013 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some help with what I should be improving on to get what points I want...
    The end of 2012 was pretty rough for me (lost my dad in October), which really affected my grades in my Christmas exams. I'm not one to study often (at all, ever.) So I'm not gonna pretend I am!
    Currently doing (+ Christmas grades):
    English HL C2
    Irish OL B1
    Maths OL missed exam
    French OL C1
    Biology HL failed
    Geography HL failed
    Home Ec HL D3

This added up to a mere 185 points, I think... :confused:

I'm just wondering what you all think I should be focusing on in terms of improvement? I'm looking to do Arts (mainly English) in UCC which was 380 points last year, I think. My pres start tomorrow week. Thanks everyone! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

First of all, I really hope you get what you want to do in college, you seem really determined! :)
    Put your Christmas results behind you, and if you don't do as well in the mocks as you hope, don't be put off : You're preparing for June and you're not expected to be getting A's in the mocks!
    From now though, begin studying a bit every day. Do your homework, and just say that takes you 2 hours, spend an hour or an hour and a half going over a few subjects of your choice. Do this every day and make sure to vary the subjects you do (don't favor studying one subject over another!). You still have a long time until June so it's not too late! For French, try learning the past tense, present tense and future tense and you'll be flying. They may take a while to learn, but once you know them, the tests/exams will seem much easier! Try learning phrases that can be used in any question that may come up in an exam. For biology, just try understanding some of the concepts (e.g Photosynthesis/Respiration) first, and then try and learn them. If you understand it, it'll make it a whole lot easier.
    Even if you don't get the required 380 points, I'm sure there are other courses similar to the one you want, and you may get into that.
    Stick with the studying and getting your homework done, and you should do well. If you think a study-plan may help you, go ahead and make one out. It works for some people, and for others (like me) it doesn't :P !

Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

For English, make sure you know your poetry. They always ask a female poet and an Irish poet. For your paper one if you're doing a short story, prepare a character beforehand so you can fit him/her into any scenario with what comes up.

For Biology, know your experiments well! It's a handy 25% (I think). For the short questions and long questions you just need to know a bit of everything tbh.

For Home Ec, study your nutrients. Really well. They always come up in the first few short questions and Q1 on the long questions is always a question on a nutrient. Also, for the long questions, a question on management and social studies always come up.

Good luck with your study and you'll be fine! Message me if you want any study tips or anything about Biology or Home Ec, they're the subjects I'm hoping for A1's in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hiiiisam

Thanks very much you two! Great advice.
    thegreatescape, what nutrient do you think will come up for Home Ec? I predicted lipids for Christmas and that was the one that came up (thankfully because it was the only one I looked over :P) Do you think it would come up again for the mocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

hiiiisam wrote: »
    Thanks very much you two! Great advice.
    thegreatescape, what nutrient do you think will come up for Home Ec? I predicted lipids for Christmas and that was the one that came up (thankfully because it was the only one I looked over :P) Do you think it would come up again for the mocks?

I think it's very possible! It hasn't come up in a good few years and the other two macronutrients have come up in the last while, it's my best bet for a long question :)

Advertisement