Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat hissing/growling at himself?

• 27-01-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have a 7 year old neutered male cat who often growls and hisses athimself. I have heard it may be worms,but he is wormed regularly. Is theresome types of worms that regular cat wormers don’t kill? Or does anyone else have any ideas as to whyhe is doing this?

Merci

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Does he happen to do it when trying to pee?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sparrow_Hawk

no, he does it when lying in his box under range or under the table generally. not when he is engaging with us in any way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you gotta get your vet to check your cat out: he/she needs to rule in or out a condition called feline hyperaesthesia, or other health problems.
    Your cat's not doing this for the sake of it, please do get him checked out as this must be distressing for him, whatever it turns out to be. But you need to rule out medical components before attempting anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

no, he does it when lying in his box under range or under the table generally. not when he is engaging with us in any way.
    But what about other things around? Do you have other pets? Is there a toy there? Is there an open window (bringing in different smells etc.)? Is it at a specific location every time (under the table) or at specific times (1pm and 7pm) and/or intervalls (2h after feeding)?

it turns out he has the feline hyperaesthesia condition. comparable to epilepsy. i guess we can stop calling him mr fruitcake now! vet advising us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

DBB wrote: »
    OP, you gotta get your vet to check your cat out: he/she needs to rule in or out a condition called feline hyperaesthesia, or other health problems.
    Your cat's not doing this for the sake of it, please do get him checked out as this must be distressing for him, whatever it turns out to be. But you need to rule out medical components before attempting anything else.

Well spotted, I was just reading about the condition the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

it turns out he has the feline hyperaesthesia condition. comparable to epilepsy. i guess we can stop calling him mr fruitcake now! vet advising us.
    At least he can get treatment now, hope all turns out well. He'll have to be spoiled even more now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Spot on DBB :))

yes boxerly, i second that it was well spotted by dbb. Thank you dbb and to everyone who took the time to contribute. ide upload a pic of the cat but cant seem to figure out how to:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What next Sparrow Hawk? Any word from your vet on how he'll be treated? I think the condition is more common than people would think, but the symptoms you describe are almost diagnostic for the condition, and you posting about your experience could be very useful for other cat owners to know about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement