Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI on Iphone 4s

• 27-01-2013 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Having trouble connecting to my home wifi, its driving me mad.

Don't want to use all of my credit by leaving cellular data or 3G on, i'm prompted to enter my password upon finding the relevant wireless network and the small circle continues to load (going around in a circle as it does) but it doesn't connect.

It has done in the past, sparringly I might at. I've no problems connecting to the wifi in my families place so its just an issue with this wifi connection i'm guessing.

The password and all is correct, it simply doesn't seem to connect even though the network is recognised.

Both of us in the house here use our laptop's on the wirless network without any issue at all.

Where am I going wrong? Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Not sure but could have to do with the router. Have a similar problem in my parents place. They both have iPhone 4 and few laptops that connect to wifi without problem but both Iphone 5's I tried and iPad mini connect but keep disconnecting after a while (can connect again though).
    I think your router might need a firmware update, google the type/model to see how to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just and FYI but 3G is cellular data and turning off 3G won't stop a data connection but turning off cellular data will.

Forget the connection on the iPhone and then connect manually, tap other instead of the router name. You have to enter the SSID then security type and then the pass key. The SSID is the name that you click on to connect. After you do this you should have no problems with wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

guil wrote: »
    Just and FYI but 3G is cellular data and turning off 3G won't stop a data connection but turning off cellular data will.

Forget the connection on the iPhone and then connect manually, tap other instead of the router name. You have to enter the SSID then security type and then the pass key. The SSID is the name that you click on to connect. After you do this you should have no problems with wifi
    Does leaving cellular data on all the time (but turning 3G off) eat up your credit?

turned on my cellular data and did all you said there. Entered the SSID manually, wasn't sure what security type to choose though (out of WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise), I just went with WEP.

Entered my pass key and it looked like it was connecting, the circle is loading beside the network in question but it just won't connect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Have to tried resetting network settings? it solves a multitude of problems I've had in past.

Settings..General..Reset..Reset Network Settings

This will remove all pre-configured wifi's you have setup and start from fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

A couple of things to try

1. reboot the router
    2. delete the network from phone
    3. hard reset the phone
    4. change the wireless channel i.e 1-11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

If none of those work, go into the Router's settings, change your SSID and try to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Is it an eircom router? I have trouble connecting my iPhone to eircom routers, the newest model (i can't remember the make).

got it working again lads, thanks a million for all the replies

Does leaving cellular data on all the time (but turning 3G off) eat up your credit?

turned on my cellular data and did all you said there. Entered the SSID manually, wasn't sure what security type to choose though (out of WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise), I just went with WEP.

Entered my pass key and it looked like it was connecting, the circle is loading beside the network in question but it just won't connect
    just want to clarify something here, 3G is only a speed and turning it off doesn't disable the internet connection, it just slows it down and also affects battery life. If you want to make sure no data goes through turn off mobile data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

got it working again lads, thanks a million for all the replies

What did the trick, in case someone else has the same problem and finds this thread?

• Advertisement

brophs wrote: »
    What did the trick, in case someone else has the same problem and finds this thread?

In my case I needed to adjust my router after rebooting it

thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

In my case I needed to adjust my router after rebooting it

thanks everyone

Adjust how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

I had the same problem. Dug out an old wifi modem and put in eircom settings and its been working fine ever since.
    TBi wrote: »
    Is it an eircom router? I have trouble connecting my iPhone to eircom routers, the newest model (i can't remember the make).

just want to clarify something here, 3G is only a speed and turning it off doesn't disable the internet connection, it just slows it down and also affects battery life. If you want to make sure no data goes through turn off mobile data

Not to correct you but actually 3g is network. In Ireland the iPhone supports two types of networks. 3g and gprs. When you turn off 3g, you are just telling the phone to connect to the gprs by default. Which is so slow you probably wont be eating up much credit. Turn off celluar data if you don't want to be charged anything.

kjl wrote: »

Not to correct you but actually 3g is network. In Ireland the iPhone supports two types of networks. 3g and gprs. When you turn off 3g, you are just telling the phone to connect to the gprs by default. Which is so slow you probably wont be eating up much credit. Turn off celluar data if you don't want to be charged anything.
    nd what about EDGE. Afaik Vodafone and three are the only ones that don't support EDGE so like I said 3G is really just the speed

nd what about EDGE. Afaik Vodafone and three are the only ones that don't support EDGE so like I said 3G is really just the speed

Edge is just gprs with new networking software on the provider end. Run on the same frequency 1800hz i belive.

Never knew that but it's definitely faster than GPRS anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

kjl wrote: »
    You will get charged 99c a day if you are on pay as you go, no?

Yes as long as you don't go over 50 mb and the charge varies between providers

Advertisement