Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord 05 cdti sudden significant loss of fuel economy

Options
  • 27-01-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi Folks,

I usually get around 550 miles out of a full tank of diesel, give or take, in my Honda Accord. The last fill ran out at near 440 miles.

I had a doubt that I didn't fill it up last time (I almost always do), but I've done 190 miles so far on the latest fill and the needle is getting close to the halfway mark already.

The only recent changes to the car are two new front tyres sometime probably early during the last fill. These are cheap tyres compared to what I usually put on there, but I didn't think they'd affect fuel economy.

I have the car 4 years and I've never noticed any dip in fuel economy like this before. It always gives me around 550 miles no matter what time of year.

I usually buy fuel at the same place.

I'd like to add that it hasn't been serviced for a while. Could it be fuel filter or something like that? I'm not car savvy...

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Hi Rocrules, your drop in mpg mightn't be as drastic as you think, as using the trip computer isn't the most accurate way to work out fuel consumption.
    Anyway, there are quite a few possible causes, most of which are mentioned in this thread;

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12169-2004-i-ctdi-low-mpg/page__hl__reduced%20mpg

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rocrules

Thanks for the reply Randy. I don't have a trip computer, I'm going by the odeometer and actual miles traveled. I always reset the clock after a fill and the miles seem to have drastically reduced now.

I'll check that link that you posted, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Did you check the tyre pressure on the new tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Hi, I have a diesel Accord and can testify that they are fussy about service intervals and particularly about fuel filters. How long has it been since the car was last serviced and had the fuel filter changed? (mileage that is).

The best oil to use is 0W30 and only use a genuine Honda fuel filter.

The Accord, particularly prior to 2006, can get a carbon/oil build up on the IMRC valve and around the EGR, this will cause poor mileage but is more noticeable as a hesitation and general lack of power up to 1500 rpm. The solution is to take bits off and clean them, you may not need new parts. Typeaccord is a good resource.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies.

I'd say it's been 30000 miles since the last service - I know I'm asking for trouble.

I'm going to check the tyre pressures shortly and I'll report back.

I forgot to mention that I've just had new brake pads in two weeks ago and two new rear discs. The rear brakes had been seizing up and sticking to the discs. This was probably going on for a number of weeks, but even at that I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy.

I've always used 0w30 for as long as I've had the car.

I'm going to get her serviced asap and have the mechanic clean out those parts that were mentioned and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

You say it's been 30,000 miles since your last service. How many miles are on it? You need to tell your mechanic how long it's been since it was serviced, he may advise an engine flush.
    I'm not having a go but you are paying over €900 a year in tax, €60 will buy the oil and filter you need for a service, it's the best money you'll ever spend on a car.

I've checked the tyre pressure and they're fine.

I'll do as you say landcrzr and mention the long gap between services to the mechanic.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Rocrules wrote: »

I'd say it's been 30000 miles since the last service - I know I'm asking for trouble.

I forgot to mention that I've just had new brake pads in two weeks ago and two new rear discs. The rear brakes had been seizing up and sticking to the discs. This was probably going on for a number of weeks, but even at that I didn't notice any drop in fuel economy.

I've always used 0w30 for as long as I've had the car.

Tbh, I'm surprised it's still running.

What oil you use is irrelevant if it's as old as tar sands................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement