Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will council cut trees?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Although technically I would have thought they would need climbing/working at height tickets, so not 2 day certified.

I think round my area they use a professional tree care/forestry firm.

Althought like you say they don't generally leave a nice finish but then in fairness they are normally on a tight schedule and have to get a certain amount done per day I.e piece work style.

M.
    Ok them 3 day certified, the point being not long in training.
    I have yet to see trees cut by ESb workers cut correctly, and I keep an eye out for it.
    a tight schedule is not an excuse for shoddy workmas ship, and they should have put in a proper quote to allow for proper work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

I recently inherited a house that was really over grown evergreen trees (12 trees about 30 foot high 10 feet wide!) around the boundary. These trees are quite out of control and completely and over hang over the path and are growing into the powerlines and telephone poles. They seem to be posing a bit of danger.

Problem is that I do not have any money to hire someone to cut/trim them and I wouldn't be confident that I have the skill to cut them.

Given that they are so out of control would the council consider cutting them?

There seems to be common misunderstanding that trees somehow need to be controlled. I have some experience of working with trees in urban areas and am amazed by the number of people who fear that trees have gotten "too big" or need topping. The reality is that trees have certain habits (height/spread etc) depending on the species and far too often works are carried out, even by qualified arborists, which are wholly unnecessary. Pruning works often cause more harm than good and lead to problems with roots lifting footpaths and tree diseases.

I would advise the OP to just get the trees inspected if he/she considers there is a problem, rather than assuming that there is a problem. If the only problem is the power lines the ESB will take care of that. If you can't afford an arborist just inspect each tree yourself. Note down any issues such as dead branches/ cracks. Date your inspection and file it. If there is ever a case taken against you for damage caused by the trees can show that you had an inspection regime in place.
    Its highly likely that the trees are just mature specimens which will outlive you and never cause a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Oldtree wrote: »
    Ok them 3 day certified, the point being not long in training.
    I have yet to see trees cut by ESb workers cut correctly, and I keep an eye out for it.
    a tight schedule is not an excuse for shoddy workmas ship, and they should have put in a proper quote to allow for proper work.

Perhaps they should have put a proper quote in, but then that is how the wonderful worl do ftendering works and also the age old problem of management and accountants driving a business, highly likely that the blokes on these nationwide contracts are not the ones procong for them in the first place.

If you want a tree done properly, get a surgeon in out of your own pocket and don't complain when the minimum of work is done by someone else on a tight schedule through probably no fault of their own.

Don't forget ESB networks are not going to pay for a surgeon and team to spend a whole day in a residential road at perhaps €800+per day lot of residential and country roads in Ireland! They are going to want a lot more productivity for that sort of money.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Coll1e wrote: »
    There seems to be common misunderstanding that trees somehow need to be controlled.

He said 'evergreen' which probably means Leylandii. They need more than control, they need banning.
    I may be biased since I'm living in the shadow caused by 30/40ft monsters, which also overhang me by about 20ft of massive branches high up. Incidentally, they have swallowed up a power line and pole in their garden - hoping that the OP is my neighbour:D

planetX wrote: »
    He said 'evergreen' which probably means Leylandii. They need more than control, they need banning.

Missed that crucial part. I couldn't agree more. On the plus side if the OP is concerned about the cost of the tree work he could do it himself. Leylandiis are really easy to climb with saw in hand. Its impossible to fall any distance. you just start high in the tree and work down. Pay some young fella to stand on the footpath to alert passers to any falling branches and pull them into the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Coll1e wrote: »
    Missed that crucial part. I couldn't agree more. On the plus side if the OP is concerned about the cost of the tree work he could do it himself. Leylandiis are really easy to climb with saw in hand. Its impossible to fall any distance. you just start high in the tree and work down. Pay some young fella to stand on the footpath to alert passers to any falling branches and pull them into the garden.

:eek:
    LLeylandii can be very dangerous to "climb with saw in hand" as can any tree. Foolish and neglegent imo to advise an amateur to climb a tree to do tree work. you can break you neck from a couple of feet easy. Young fellow could be badly hurt easy, and leave you open to a lawsuit. a twig falling from a height can penetrate the skull!

Oldtree wrote: »
    :eek:
    LLeylandii can be very dangerous to "climb with saw in hand" as can any tree. Foolish and neglegent imo to advise an amateur to climb a tree to do tree work. you can break you neck from a couple of feet easy. Young fellow could be badly hurt easy, and leave you open to a lawsuit. a twig falling from a height can penetrate the skull!

Rubbish. Lleylandii are about the simplest trees ever to climb. I let my 5 year old up towards the top of a big one near our house (albeit without a saw). The branch network is so dense its virtually impossibe to fall more than a foot or two.
    Re breaking your neck from a couple of feet. Its conceivable you could break your neck by tripping over a pine cone but its not very likely. Ever been to a playground and seen the spacenets for kids to climb? You'd be shocked:eek::eek:

Your surely having a laugh with the twig comment. Right?

If the OP is really worried about the trees and doesn't want to spend a fortune then letting the ESB cut away the branches at the wires and finishing the job himself is the best way to go imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭themoneyguy

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies... all really helpful!
    The trees are the dreaded Leylandii..... problem i heard is that you can only cut them back so far. Cut too far and they wont grow again?

From this I believe the best option is to call the ESB as trees have completely grown around poles......

Fingers crossed but will they finish the job or just butcher around the wires?

Would a small tip make a difference?.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cut too far and they wont grow again?
    what's the problem here?
    currently dealing with the leylandii in the garden in the new place. slow, but satisfying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

..... problem i heard is that you can only cut them back so far. Cut too far and they wont grow again?
    If cut below a green shoot, they won't sprout from that point and that branch dies back.
    Apart from their ridiculous growth rate, that is the major drawback with these plants. In essence, the green foliage masks a tangled interior of twigs and branches which die back due to lack of light.

Horrible things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement