Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shellac nails

• 27-01-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine told me about this treatment for nails today. i thought it might be better than the gel nails that i always got, but i'm not sure if i can use it myself for one main reason. I have a bad habit of biting my nails down to the last point and have tried for years growing them.

getting married in the summer and much prefer the look of the shellac nails. can someone tell me if they can be used for those of us that bite our nails.

Comments

Hi Mollybird, I've moved your thread to the beauty forum as it is the more appropriate place for your query

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

mollybird wrote: »
    a friend of mine told me about this treatment for nails today. i thought it might be better than the gel nails that i always got, but i'm not sure if i can use it myself for one main reason. I have a bad habit of biting my nails down to the last point and have tried for years growing them.

getting married in the summer and much prefer the look of the shellac nails. can someone tell me if they can be used for those of us that bite our nails.

I'd have thought that shellac would be good as it would be difficult (and not very tasty!) to bite through since its a really hard and shiny cured nailpolish. One thing to be careful of is that you couldn't get a French manicure if your nails were super short so if that's what you were after try to let them grow out slightly. Have you ever tried those polishes that are supposed to encourage you to stop biting your nails? Might be worth a go. You can get them in boots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

oh ya ive tried those polishes all right a few times since i was a kid. never worked due to habit being so bad. but would really love nice real looking nails so ya think i'm willing to def give it a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My friend bites her nails but with the help of Shellac she has just reached the point where you wouldn't know she bites them. She got three Shellacs in a row and has really good length on them now.

I would say go for it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

How much does it cost?

Any Salon recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I always use to get gel nails (for years) eventually stopped getting them and my nails where in awful condition.

Was advised to use Sally Hanson nail strengthener (most pharmacys sell it) and it was great. Nails where healthy again and have length.
    I now get shellec, much better option then gel IMO, and a lot cheaper.
    Id advice you get the nail strengthener and and think of nice long healthy nails ( might encourage you to stop biting them ;) ) then get shellec.

Different prices for different salons, I get mine done for €20, lasts about 2 weeks before I need a new coat.

Use to spend €50 a forthnight on gel :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 little.midget

I used to bite my nails really badly but had to have something done for my sister's wedding a few years back as I was bridesmaid. I got gel nails, a french manicure. Now I must admit that because my nails were a bit short you could kind of see my real nails underneath but only if you looked really closely. I think the first set I got was around €50 cause I had to get the extensions, but after that I got them refilled every few weeks when my real nails began to grow underneath. I think the refills cost 20-25. Now that I've let my nails grow a little I've been able to get a Shellac french manicure done

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've had it done twice from 2 separate salons and both times a couple of nails started to peel off within a few days.

Not worth the money imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

If you are getting Shellac done, make sure it's the proper, original Shellac by CND.

Many salons just use any old gel polish and call it Shellac- it's not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I get a shellac manicure once every 3 weeks or so. I bit my nails for yeeeears so they were in crap condition once I stopped, weak, fragile prone to pealing and splitting. I find shellac helps, stops the wear and tear and means I can keep them at a decent length without them breaking. I generally get a solid 2.5 weeks out of them before the regrowth with starts to look ridiculous.

Got this done over the weekend. The coral is tropix, had it on my fingers nd toes all last summer, love it. And the ring finger is a lilac colour I can not remember the name of :o

21289e28-5ca4-402f-aecd-555b45708522_zpsd455bae9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

xzanti wrote: »
    I've had it done twice from 2 separate salons and both times a couple of nails started to peel off within a few days.

Not worth the money imho.

That's terrible, I have had it done maybe 15 times and it's only happened me once, when it wasn't real Shellac. Sometimes I can get three weeks from Shellac!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got three weeks out of Shellac from 5th Avenue Nails in Suffolk St, D2. They were so shiny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am very hard wearing on nails, lots of manual work, and I think maybe my nails are very flexible or something. shellac starts to peels off on day 3 for me. Tried three times, three different places, including the 3 week manicure from nails inc in BT and 5th avenue in cork. Same result each time. That being said, 3/4 days is still a really long time for me to not bite my nails, so it has eased me out of that a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just to let you know, Shellac will definitely stop you biting your nails.
    It's made from beetle excrement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Twee. wrote: »
    I got three weeks out of Shellac from 5th Avenue Nails in Suffolk St, D2. They were so shiny :D

What's that place like? Keep meaning to try it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love Shellac. I get at least two weeks out of it, and it stops me biting my nails. Unfortunately it does not help the chronic weakness of my nails :(. I had two lots of Shellac on over the last month, and I've just given myself a break from them and my nails are long but weak as hell :(. I've filed them all down, mostly, so I lost the benefit of the length that had grown.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

frogstar wrote: »
    What's that place like? Keep meaning to try it

Good salon and good value, in my experience. It's not a mega pamper place like Mink or the likes, more of the US style nail bar. In and out, job done! I've had Shellac and file & paint here and never had any issues. They often have walk in appointments available for paint, but if you want gels or Shellac you're best off booking. If I'm getting my nails done I'll pop in and see what they have available in the next hour or so and they usually fit me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Twee. wrote: »
    Good salon and good value, in my experience. It's not a mega pamper place like Mink or the likes, more of the US style nail bar. In and out, job done! I've had Shellac and file & paint here and never had any issues. They often have walk in appointments available for paint, but if you want gels or Shellac you're best off booking. If I'm getting my nails done I'll pop in and see what they have available in the next hour or so and they usually fit me in.

Have you any idea what they're like for waxing ?

Advertisement