Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any psychologists here?

Options
  • 27-01-2013 11:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get information about working in the field of psychology in the US - specifically in clinical psychology, but prior to doing the doctorate. I'm really struggling to get an understanding of what kinds of jobs might be available, so if anyone has any experience with the field at all, I'd love to ask a few questions!

I'll put my main question out here first, in case anyone sees it:

In Ireland and the UK, once you've completed your undergraduate and (optional) masters, you generally try to get a job as an assistant psychologist. This involves being supervised by a clinical psychologist, but working fairly independently. You usually work directly with clients, assessing them and designing interventions etc. Is there a comparable position in the USA that psychology graduates would work in prior to beginning their doctoral training? And if so, how would I find out about them?

(Mods: I posted this here rather than in the Psychology forum, because I'm specifically looking for information relating to the USA.)

Advertisement